Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New SG Appliances announced 6500 & 6800

Yaron_Weiler
Employee
Employee
5 10 7,938

Hi,

We’ve announced in CPX Asia 2 new Security Gateways appliances: 6500 & 6800. The Check Point 6500 and 6800 are a new generation of high performance Security Gateways for the enterprise market segment. With the new 6000 series, enterprise customers can enable advanced threat prevention and inspect for threats within TLS encrypted traffic.

The 6500 and 6800 will be available in the Check Point Product Catalog from February 1st.

Datasheets are available for download now.

Support Links

With the introduction of the 6500 & 6800 we are taking the opportunity to simplify and accelerate our business processes.

These new products and all of their accessories are priced with significant discounts incorporated in their list prices. This shortens sales cycles and eliminates dependencies in discounting processes.

In addition we revisited how we offer our Security Gateways. Instead of dozens of tedious appliance SKUs, each model will be available in 2 simple configurations: base and PLUS. Both are equipped with our existing and well-known Next Generation Threat Prevention subscription for the first year. The PLUS option adds a richer hardware configuration; redundant components when supported by the gateway, SSDs and extra memory for additional connection capacity. The base option comes with Hard Disk Drive(s) and supports local management while the PLUS with SSD disk(s) does not.

With the ~50% price reduction in accessories there are also stricter discounting policies which are also incorporated into the Check Point Product Catalog.

I would like to take this opportunity and thank the many groups that were involved in the introduction of these 2 new appliances – R&D, QA, Finance, NPI, Product Infrastructure, Planning, Business Analysis, Legal – great Teamwork!

Feel free to contact me in any question or query regarding the 6500 & 6800.

Wishing you a successful and fruitful 2019.

regards,
Yaron Weiler
Security Gateways Product Manager
yaronw@checkpoint.com
+972-54-9222361

10 Comments
Aidan_Luby
Collaborator

I've been comparing the datasheets for the 5600 and the 6500 and I'm a bit confused.

Things like the UDP 1518 throughput is basically the same but the 5600 does about 2 Gbps more VPN throughput and we do have a lot of VPNs currently. The 6500’s connections per second is much lower but the concurrent connections are much higher. I’d really like to know what’s different in the 6500 as it seems to maybe just be a new CPU and possibly faster RAM/Disk but nothing else?

I did also notice the 6500 has hyperthreading but I still hear that’s not recommended a lot of the time.

Yaron_Weiler
Employee
Employee

Hi Aidan,

The 5600 connection were measured in R80.10, while 6500 was measured with R80.20.

The later OS version introduced reduction in the # of connections and as a result the 6500 shows lesser connections than the 5400.

In other words – it’s not apples-to-apples.

Hope it is clear now

Regards,

Yaron

Carl_Neidhardt1
Explorer

Hi Yaron, I see the 6000 series take a special build image "Dual Image R80.20 (Take 101) / R80.10 Gaia Clean Install for 6000 appliance."  For the R80.10 side, does this image have some jumbo hot fix accumulator version 'built in'?  It seems to have slightly different version information from the standard R80.10 build.  Thanks for any info.

idhammer
Contributor

Hi Yaron,

Any news when will 6500/6800 base package available?

Alex_Su
Explorer

HI Yaron,

In the announcement above, it said "The base option comes with Hard Disk Drive(s) and supports local management while the PLUS with SSD disk(s) does not." 

What exactly is the local management that the PLUS package does not support? Does it mean no STANDALONE configuration on the PLUS package and it can only be centrally managed from a separate Management Server?

PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

@Alex_Su you are correct.

When our appliances are configured with SSD drives, we do not support the use of local management, which is required for a Standalone deployment. An external management appliance/VM is required in this case.

Aidan_Luby
Collaborator

Responding to @Carl_Neidhardt1 about the hotfixes, I'm wondering what the status is as well. I just loaded up our new 6500 with R80.20 and tried to install the newest GA hotfix for R80.20 and received the following output:

installer import local /mnt/usb-storage/Check_Point_R80_20_JUMBO_HF_Bund le_T47_sk137592_FULL.tgz
Preparing package for import. This operation might take a few moments
Note: The selected package will be copied into CPUSE repository
Info: Initiating import of Check_Point_R80_20_JUMBO_HF_Bundle_T47_sk137592_FULL. tgz...
Interactive mode is enabled. Press CTRL + C to exit (this will not stop the oper ation)
Result: The following results are not compatible with the package:
- Branch halo1_T101_quark_main is installed from take 18
- Machine's appliance type is Check Point 6500, machine's series name is 6000 Appliances
This hotfix is only supported on R80.20 takes 101 and above.
This hotfix is not supported on R80.20 GAIA 3.10 version.
This hotfix is not supported on Check Point Gaia R80.20SP Machines.
This hotfix is not supported on Linux kernel versions above 2.6.18 For details refer to sk120453.
This hotfix is not supported on:
- Check Point 6500 appliance
- Check Point 6800 appliance.

It's acting like I have kernel 3.10 installed even though that isn't the case:

show version all
Product version Check Point Gaia R80.20
OS build 18
OS kernel version 2.6.18-92cpx86_64
OS edition 64-bit

Also it seems to think I have takes installed but I can't see what it's even currently using:

cpinfo -y all

This is Check Point CPinfo Build 914000189 for GAIA
[IDA]
No hotfixes..

[CPFC]
No hotfixes..

[MGMT]
No hotfixes..

[FW1]
No hotfixes..

FW1 build number:
This is Check Point's software version R80.20 - Build 255
kernel: R80.20 - Build 258

[SecurePlatform]
No hotfixes..

[PPACK]
No hotfixes..

[CPinfo]
No hotfixes..

[DIAG]
No hotfixes..

[CVPN]
No hotfixes..

I was hoping a hotfix would fix the fact that I can't login using Gaia Web Console, I keep just having the login page refresh when I enter credentials in Chrome, although IE works. I thought this issue was fixed a year ago.

PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Probably best to get the TAC involved on the hotfix issue @Aidan_Luby because that clearly doesn't look right.

Linor_Leshem
Employee Alumnus
Employee Alumnus

Hi, @Aidan_Luby ,

Last R80.20 JHF GA take - 47, does not support 6500.

You should use the ongoing take - 74

Please try it and let me know if it succeeded.

Aidan_Luby
Collaborator

I ended up doing Take 80 but it worked thank you. It took me more time to get the device online with a trial license so I could grab the ongoing take with online CPUSE. It would've been convenient to be able to download Take 74 or 80 and perform an offline CPUSE install.

Unrelated to the hotfixes, what is with the change in the SKU naming/licensing/pricing on these models? We're in the middle of a try-and-buy and now these look like the price is going to put these units above budget for us.

Labels