Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Networks_Winter
Explorer

URL Filtering: Computers / Internet Category

We are running a trial with App & URL filtering on R80.  At the moment we have used the CP categories to broad stroke sites and apps we want to block.  Hit an issue with the category Computers / Internet, which contains a bunch of stuff (some quite random) that we want to block.  Our issue is this category also contains CDN networks so breaks a bunch of stuff.

Options seem to be :

1 - Enable the block on the category and triage the CDN issues.

2 - Ignore the category and simply block the apps within it.  Feels like this will also open us up to whatever URL's are filtered in that category.

Wondering how other people in the community have handled this?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Curious, have you enabled HTTPS Categorization?

0 Kudos
Networks_Winter
Explorer

Hi

Yes we have. Official word from CP is you either disable and allow, or allow and block.  

Trouble for me is mostly around the URL filtering, it uses this same categorisation and there seems to be a very loose set of URL's in there.  Other than the URL search function CP provide I can't find a way to look at the list that category will block.  Enabling it breaks lots.

I think we are going to have to leave it disabled.

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Even if we were to provide a list of URLs in a given category, it can change on a moment-by-moment basis, so any such list is likely to be out of date pretty quickly. Smiley Happy

Networks_Winter
Explorer

Noted, and once this is fully implemented I expect it to be light touch.

But right now we don't know what URL's are going to be blocked on anyone category.  If CP can provide a page to look them up it wouldn't seem a stretch to supply the lost.

Computers / Internet is particularly vague and broad. Have seen sites from CDN, to Regex, to Pingdom.

This is a POC so we will just work around it.

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

We do have such a page: URL Categorization

Networks_Winter
Explorer

If CP can provide a page to look them up it wouldn't seem a stretch to supply the lost.

or I should say, show me all the URL's in a category at this given time.  Happy they might change but at the moment I'm enabling a category blind.

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

The category description provides a few representative samples of URLs in a given category.

Unfortunately, we are not able to provide a complete list.

And yes, Computers / Internet covers a wide range of sites.

0 Kudos
Ofir_Shikolski
Employee
Employee

Have you considered using inline policy and/or Override Categorization / Creating Custom Applications and Sites ?

SmartConsole R80.20 Help 

Neil_ZInk
Collaborator

we are constantly running up against CDNs being categorized incorrectly.   Adding a customer application does not help.  i would be interested in hearing a better solution as more and more applications are going Could IP spaces.  

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events