Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Paul_Gademsky
Employee
Employee

SmartConsole Security Policies - Search feature is broken for inline layers

R80.20 on MDS/CMA. SmartCenter

When looking at the Security policies and trying to do a search for objects in a policy that contains an ordered layer section and inline layer section in the policy, the search is able to find the object in the ordered section but not in the inline section. An example is searching for a host and it finds one occurrence in the inline section, but no others. When using object explorer, and doing a where used on the object in question, it lists it in the policy in question in ~15 places.

The same thing occurs in the Security Zone inline layer section.

This makes the search feature pretty much useless and misleading for operational purposes.

I've had an open ticket on this for almost a month, and now have the response of ' it looks like it's not supported'.

Has anyone else run into this, and found a workaround besides the 'where used' option?

Thank you,

PG

0 Kudos
8 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Whatever SmartDashboard is doing to search is clearly only searching the main layer.
SmartDashboard would have to recurse through the inline layers to get results in other layers or just use the where-used API call to do the search and filter the results based on the layers that are present in the current policy.

The question is whether this is a bug or operating as designed...
0 Kudos
Vladimir
Champion
Champion

I'd have to say that if it is operating "as designed", it should be considered an underdeveloped feature, if not an outright bug.

When we are told that the Single Pane of glass management simplifies our lives, I actually tend to expect it to be so.

IMHO, jumping between UI, cli and API to get to the bottom of things while getting contradictory results could hardly be a desired goal of the development.

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

If operating as designed, it should definitely be improved.
Have asked someone from R&D to comment to make sure.
Dima_M
Employee
Employee

Hi all, 

This issue is fixed in R80.30. 

Vladimir
Champion
Champion

@Dima_M , thank you!

0 Kudos
Paul_Gademsky
Employee
Employee

Hi Dima, any chance we might see this in an HFA for 80.20?

Thank you,

Paul G.

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

The fix required both client and server-side fixes, which disqualifies it from being included in the jumbo hotfix.
0 Kudos
Vladimir
Champion
Champion

@PhoneBoy , can you expand on this a bit?

I am interested in learning about criteria necessary for inclusion of the feature in the JHFAs.

By client and server, you mean SmartConsole and the Management server?  

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events