cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ana_11
Participant

site to site vpn tunnel

Hello Team,

I have a query. today my one of the working site to site vpn tunnel went down. while troubleshooting i found that phase 1 was down  and it was getting failed on main mode packet 5. So i have reset the pre-shared key. And the tunnel came up. So my query is without making any changes what could be the possible reason of this changes. 

there were no changes made on the gateway

OS version. R80.20

jumbo hotfix take_118

0 Kudos
3 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

I assume after you reset the pre-shared secret you pushed policy.
That means either the pre-shares secret was wrong OR there is some other issue that was solved by doing a policy push.
0 Kudos
Ana_11
Participant

Yes it did resolve the issue. but i want to know what could be the possibility of encryption getting failed in main mode packet 5(without making any changes). how to find the RCA, I am not able to find to any checkpoint SK.
tunnel is between checkpoint to checkpoint
0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion Champion
Champion

IKE Phase 1 packet 5 is where the peers switch over to NAT-T if intervening NAT has been detected between them, did that happen?

If the shared secret was really wrong you should have seen a "payload malformed" message on one side or the other, if you didn't see that then the PSK was not the problem.

By default pushing policy clears all IKE Phase 1 SAs and forces them to renegotiate which is probably what fixed the tunnel.

Check that your IKE Phase 1 and IPSec Phase 2 lifetimes match.

Since you say your peer is another Check Point, if this keeps happening I'd recommend enabling Permanent Tunnels on both ends so that the VPN will recover itself within 60 seconds or so should this situation happen again.

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events