Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vladimir
Champion
Champion

Some clarity on mds_restore in r80.20 please...

Reading the CP_R80.20_Multi-DomainSecurityManagement_AdminGuide.pdf, I see:

mds_restore
Description
Use this command to restore a Multi-Domain Server that was backed up with mds_backup. It is best practice to restore to a clean install of the previous version.

Can someone tell me what it actually referring to? Are we supposed to restore MDS backup of r80.20 on r80.10?

This does not sound right since R80.20 management using different kernel and the file system. So if we have a clean install of R80.20 MDMS and created its backup, how restoring it on older platform actually makes sense?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Maarten_Sjouw
Champion
Champion

Yeah this really makes sense, but not really. Sounds like someone in the documentation department put some deliberate error in there for us to find... And you did, claim your prize. 😉

Regards, Maarten
Vladimir
Champion
Champion

Maarten Sjouw‌, since mds_backup and mds_restore do backup and restore binaries in addition to configuration databases, I can see how in prior to R80.20 described method would make sense:

Your restore would effectively perform an upgrade in the background creating new version branch and starting it from there on next boot.

It is the R80.20 underlying kernel and FS that make this path less plausible, since you are booting in to the version you are trying to substitute, so the file locks are possible, unless duplicate version of directory is being created as part of the restore process.

In this later case, there has to be enough logic baked into the mds_restore to account for it.

So I am looking for CP to let us know what the deal is and if there are specific caveats for R80.20 to R80.20 backup and restore.

0 Kudos
Maarten_Sjouw
Champion
Champion

To me restoring to a previous version does not make ANY sense. As far as I know you always had to make sure to restore to the same version and to be sure even to the same Jumbo take.

Regards, Maarten
0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events