cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kaspars_Zibarts
Employee Employee
Employee

MDS upgrade to R80.40 T77 using CPUSE first impressions

We were "forced" to upgrade from stable R80.30 T215 based on the fact that log search was totally screwed and fix in R80.30 would take long time to develop (see  SK168616)

Was a very long night somewhat based on events outside CP (had to clean up VM snapshots and that took only 4hrs..)

Some of my observations that's worth sharing:

1. Upgrade documentation for MDS HA using CPUSE is inaccurate for HA part as it actually tells you to install, not upgrade using CPUSE in the procedure and some parts are missing. So if you are not familiar with MDS HA upgrades, probably worth asking CP support to clarify (I don't want to make this post too long with instructions)
  2. Both Primary and Secondary MDS failed upgrade with the first attempt! It would restart against R80.40 and then soon after roll back itself to R80.30. Without doing a single change, I re-run upgrade using CPUSE and both succeeded with the second attempt. Very strange as both MLMs worked flawlessly. I had no time to investigate as night was not long enough and we desperately needed log search working for operations
  3. Pls make sure that you read sk163814 as I did rookie mistake by installing T77 on primary MDS before I upgraded secondary and MLMs, so they all stopped half way through the upgrade, until I uninstalled Take77 on primary.. This has worked before, even with R80.30 but not anymore. SK is really good!
  4. I noticed that backup size has shrunk by 20%, that's good news  as R80 and R80.10 were really bad, when our backup went up to 25GB and now it's 7GB!
  5. CPU usage has dropped noticeably on the log server and is much more even between cores
  6. Tufin API calls were failing straight after upgrade and it turned out that each CMA needed at least one published change before API calls started to get accepted. Plus you should be running TOS 19-3 or 20-1 as a minumum. We are on 19-1 HF3 but it seems to work so far

Hope it helps someone! Will update as we go along.

4 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

The upgrade process from R80.20 onward uses a more efficient export/import process, resulting in a much smaller file.
That and, unlike the previous process, we can update it outside of a maintrain release. 

Kaspars_Zibarts
Employee Employee
Employee

Thanks Dameon @PhoneBoy if I'm very honest I did not notice the actual "savings"  time wise - primary MDS still took over 3hrs to upgrade. It was the same to R80.10, R80.20 and R80.30.

PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Was referring to a more efficient from a space perspective.
I imagine it can still take a while from a time perspective. 🙂

0 Kudos
Kaspars_Zibarts
Employee Employee
Employee

Roger!

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

Tue 23 Apr 2024 @ 11:00 AM (EDT)

East US: What's New in R82

Thu 25 Apr 2024 @ 11:00 AM (SGT)

APAC: CPX 2024 Recap

Tue 30 Apr 2024 @ 03:00 PM (CDT)

EMEA: CPX 2024 Recap

Thu 02 May 2024 @ 11:00 AM (SGT)

APAC: What's new in R82

Tue 23 Apr 2024 @ 11:00 AM (EDT)

East US: What's New in R82

Thu 25 Apr 2024 @ 11:00 AM (SGT)