Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
H2-F1
Participant

MDS licensing

Hi everyone.

Need some guidance on licensing and MDS

I have a client running a Multi-Domain Server with 5 CMAs,

The MDS has a set of licenses attached to it and each CMA has another number of licenses against it. Amongst these licenses is the CPSB-DMN-x software blade described as "Security Management for x GWs", These are distributed as follows:

CMA1  - CPSB-DMN-U

CMA2 - CPSB-DMN-10

CMA3 - CPSB-DMN-2

CMA4 - CPSB-DMN-10

CMA5 - CPSB-DMN-U

My question is:

Would it be possible to attach a single MDS central license (CPSB-DMN-U) so that all CMA's inherit this license (without attaching it to a specific CMA). if that is the case, would this mean the client no longer needs to buy the individual licenses per CMA.

Thanks

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Maarten_Sjouw
Champion
Champion

No this is not possible with that licensing model.
The new license model is again different from the model you are referring to. Now you purchase the MDS license per total number of gateways and domains.
Regards, Maarten
0 Kudos
H2-F1
Participant

Thanks for the quick reply Maarten,

One quick follow up. would the new licensing model work on an MDS running R77.30? i.e if the client was to purchase an MDS license per total number of gateways and domains. would this install on an R77.30 MDS with several R7x gateways? or would this require the MDS to be on R80.xx?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Maarten_Sjouw
Champion
Champion

I don't know if this new model will work on R77.30, but I think it does.
However, price-wise it will be much less interesting for them.
A base license for 150 GW's and 10 domains will be 86K USD list.
While a DMN-U is still for sale at around 9K USD list.
Regards, Maarten
0 Kudos
Wolfgang
Authority
Authority

Hamid,

the new licensing model is only possible with R80.xx.

Wolfgang
0 Kudos
H2-F1
Participant

Hi Maarten/Wolgang,
Thanks for the replies, they allowed me to go back to the business with some guidance. We've since been in touch with Checkpoint licensing, and apparently there is something called an "enabler license" which allows old legacy systems to leverage the new licensing model. We are yet to implement that. I'll feedback as and when we get a change to implement.
Thanks again.
0 Kudos
JozkoMrkvicka
Mentor
Mentor

Is this new license model structure for MDS/MLM/CMA described somewhere?

Kind regards,
Jozko Mrkvicka
0 Kudos
H2-F1
Participant

I had a chat with CP Licensing team and this was the outcome

Checkpoint have 3 types of licensing models, depending on their requirements and hardware they have which are:

- Provider-1 licensing (this is what my customer has)

- Domain licensing

- NGSM licensing

Customers running legacy hardware/software on Provider-1 can install the enabler license to use features found in the domain licensing model, it does not however allow them to leverage the NGSM (which is what my customer needs). This is because NGSM licensing can only run on Gaia.

At least this is my understanding, happy to be told otherwise.

Hope this helps

Hamid

0 Kudos
Patrick150781
Explorer

Dear CP coomunity,

I've a question regarding the MDS/CMD licenz model. We start with MDS/CMD with the R77.30 version.

In the meantime we already upgraded to R80.30.

As far as I can remamber, in R77.30 the domain license specifyed the number of firewalls per CMD. Assuming I've a CMD with a CPSB-DMN-2 licence and two firewalls in it.

Now I'm planing another firewall, so that within this domain I will have three firewalls. Is is requiered to attached another CPSB-DMN-2 and can I use this remaining domain licence for another CMD? I mean I'm only using three of four possible firewalls within this domain so that I will have a licence unused.

Thank you in advance.

BR

Patrick

0 Kudos
Maarten_Sjouw
Champion
Champion

You cannot stack DMN licenses, the only option you have is to see if you can still buy a DMN-10 which is good for 10 gateways.

You cannot reuse any not used gateways in other CMA/Domains. The new licensing scheme will fit your scheme more as it allows for a total number of gateways per MDS instead of per Domain. To get there you will need to contact your local sales to trade in your current licenses.

Regards, Maarten
0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events