cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Roy_Smith
Collaborator

Leading Interface for MDS and CMA

Hi

We currently have a MDS cluster on R80.10 and now looking at upgrading to R80.30. In looking through the upgrade guide, I came across this in prerequisite section:

On Smart-1 appliances with Multi-Domain Server or Multi-Domain Log Server installed, if you configured an interface other than Mgmt as the Leading interface, the upgrade process or clean install process (with CPUSE) configures the interface Mgmt to be the Leading interface. To configure another interface as the Leading interface after the upgrade, see sk107336

When I checked both management devices, I discover that the standby member has the leading interface configured as eth1. Therefore, I thought it would be straightforward to change this to Mgmt, prior to upgrading to R80.30, as this device is in our DR server room at a remote location. 

So, I changed the IP address on eth1, disabled the interface, added the management IP to Mgmt, enabled the interface and moved the network cable. I also changed the entry in $MDSDIR/conf/external.if from eth1 to Mgmt.

After MDSSTOP/MDSSTART, in Smartconsole, I get the message "no active server is present" under the standby server for each domain. 

SK107336 refers to changing the IP address  but I am not changing the IP address and do not want to change it. Is there another setting somewhere to tell the CMA which interface to use? Has anyone tried to do this?

Thanks
Roy

4 Replies
JozkoMrkvicka
Mentor
Mentor

Have you followed all steps mentioned in sk107336 ?

Especially the part with "mdsconfig". There is no need to modify the file if you used mdsconfig tool to modify leading interface.

Kind regards,
Jozko Mrkvicka
Roy_Smith
Collaborator

Hi Jozko

I did not use mdsconfig, as I did not think it applied. I have tried again, this time using mdsconfig to change the leading interface. 

The current leading interface is eth1. I used mdsconfig to add Mgmt. I then tried to remove eth1 for the leading interfaces and I get the message

" Domain XXXXXXX is defined on interface eth1. Removal of this interface is not possible. You must delete all Domain Management Servers assigned to this interface."

There are only 2 CMAs defined on this MDS server but I really do not want to re-create them. 

Do you know how to change the interface definition for the CMA?

Thanks
Roy

JozkoMrkvicka
Mentor
Mentor

Hi Roy,

Sorry for the late answer.
Well, this error is new for me 😮 I would suggest to get in contact with TAC to have a look deeply what's going on there.

Kind regards,
Jozko Mrkvicka
0 Kudos
Roy_Smith
Collaborator

Hi Jozko

After some digging around, I came across some sk articles referring to the vip_index.conf file, which references the management interface for the CMA.

The key thing here is that I did not want to change the IP addressing. So, after giving eth1 a dummy IP and then configuring Mgmt with the IP address assigned to eth1, I followed the manual method in sk35120. I then did a MDSSTOP/MDSRESTART but Smartconsole reported the standby as down. After a reboot, it started looking better and after a couple of days, it still looks healthy. I now have eth1 disconnected and Mgmt connected and both active and standby are in sync. 

Thanks
Roy 

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events