cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BigLeBeauski24
Participant

GuiDbEdit - Managed Objects > communities is empty

Hello!

I am trying to stand up a site-to-site VPN tunnel to a 3rd party device that requires a data cap be set on Phase 2 renegotiation.  I am following along sk108600, Scenario 6 for Simplified VPN, and need to use GuiDBEdit to set this parameter.  

This environment is managed by MDS so I am running GuiDbEdit in MDS mode as per the procedure in sk13009.  

When I open and log in to the database, according to sk108600, I need to use the left hand table to navigate to Tables > Managed Objects > communities.  When I do that, and select the "communities" table, there are no objects found.  There are 4 other VPN communites configured in SmartConsole for this MDS context, and countless others for other MDS contexts, but none of them are showing up in GuiDbEdit in this table.  

Am I looking in the wrong place?  Is there another table specific to MDS environments that I should be looking in?  I tried searching for the parameter and no entries were found.  

Capture.JPGI appreciate any help that you can provide.

Thanks,

Dave

0 Kudos
8 Replies
funkylicious
Advisor

Hi,

Are you using the DbEdit to connect to the IP of the CMA where the gateway/community is created ?

What version is your MDS running, R77.30 or R80.x ?

0 Kudos
BigLeBeauski24
Participant

Capture.JPGRunning R80.30.

If I try to connect to the IP of the CMA for that domain, I get this error message. 

Thanks,

Dave

0 Kudos
Maarten_Sjouw
Champion
Champion

I have been using GuiDBedit lots of times on a domain, and you need to connect to the Domain IP to see the correct data. Are you sure:

• the user is allowed to access that domain?
  • the IP your using is listed in the allowed IP list for that domain?
  • the FWM process is running on that domain? 
  • Are you able to connect it directly with same user/IP with SmartConsole?
Regards, Maarten
0 Kudos
BigLeBeauski24
Participant

Hi Maarten, appreciate your suggestions.  My answers are below:

• the user is allowed to access that domain?       Yes, I can login to MDS and get to the Domain from there with the same username/password
  • the IP your using is listed in the allowed IP list for that domain?     You mean the source IP of my PC? Yes, that is in the allowed list.
  • the FWM process is running on that domain?   Yes
  • Are you able to connect it directly with same user/IP with SmartConsole?     Never done that before, but yes, I can connect using SmartConsole to the direct IP of that domain/CMA and login with the same credentials
0 Kudos
funkylicious
Advisor

Hi,
By coincidence, I happen to encounter the same error, while trying to access a CMA's IP which is running on R80.30.

I've opened GuiDbEdit from R77.30 and it worked, not surprised tho..

0 Kudos
BigLeBeauski24
Participant

So I ended up opening a case with CP TAC and we were able to resolve this.

Turns out, sk13009 is incorrect.  In that SK, the procedure states to run GuiDbEdit executable with the "/mds" switch when connecting to MDS contexts or servers.  However, when I tired just running GuiDbEdit without the "/mds" switch, I was able to open the CMA by IP.  Check Point is going to get that SK updated.  

Gotta love it!  Thanks everyone for jumping in with suggestions!

-Dave

0 Kudos
StellaShteinbuk
Employee
Employee

Hello Dave

Apparently, sk13009 is correct. You should use the "/mds" flag only when connecting with MDS IP address to see the objects that are stored in the MDS database. While to review the database of  Security Management server or CMA (Domain Management Server), "/mds" should not be used.

0 Kudos
BigLeBeauski24
Participant

Capture.JPGHello,

Yes, the sk is now correct, after it was updated and corrected yesterday, Sep 13, 2020.  

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events