Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sal_Previtera
Contributor
Jump to solution

SMART EVENTS server move to a different hardware version 80.xx and above ?

Can someone at Checkpoint possibly , come up with a decent documentation on how to move a SMARTEVENT server from server A to Server B, with the understanding that the IP will be kept the same but the HARDWARE may be different ?

1. Snapshots will not be any good.....

2. Backup and restore .....useful or not ...probably not...?

3. Migrate Export does not move database file....?

There were somewhat,  almost decent documents in R77.xx but cant find anything halfway decent in R80.xx.

Please,  someone point me in the right direction...

Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dror_Aharony
Employee Alumnus
Employee Alumnus

R80.x to a later R80.x (R80.10 to R80.30 for example) SmartEvent upgrades are now easily done & also save the SME Events DB. Entire SME Policy configuration is saved as well.

to export/import into another another server, simply add the -x flag to the migrate in order to preserve the SME Events DB (or SML Index DB). 

for both old/new methods (depending on version): migrate/migrate_server export/import -x.

See guide:

https://sc1.checkpoint.com/documents/R80.30/WebAdminGuides/EN/CP_R80.30_Installation_and_Upgrade_Gui...

Section:  Upgrading a Dedicated SmartEvent Server from R80.20, R80.10, and lower with Advanced Upgrade

Export the management database:

[Expert@SmartEventServer:0]# yes | nohup ./migrate export [-l | -x] [-n] /<Full Path>/<Name of Exported File>.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin
I believe a Gaia-level backup/restore is sufficient in this case.
That's based on this SK: https://supportcenter.checkpoint.com/supportcenter/portal?eventSubmit_doGoviewsolutiondetails=&solut...
0 Kudos
Dror_Aharony
Employee Alumnus
Employee Alumnus

R80.x to a later R80.x (R80.10 to R80.30 for example) SmartEvent upgrades are now easily done & also save the SME Events DB. Entire SME Policy configuration is saved as well.

to export/import into another another server, simply add the -x flag to the migrate in order to preserve the SME Events DB (or SML Index DB). 

for both old/new methods (depending on version): migrate/migrate_server export/import -x.

See guide:

https://sc1.checkpoint.com/documents/R80.30/WebAdminGuides/EN/CP_R80.30_Installation_and_Upgrade_Gui...

Section:  Upgrading a Dedicated SmartEvent Server from R80.20, R80.10, and lower with Advanced Upgrade

Export the management database:

[Expert@SmartEventServer:0]# yes | nohup ./migrate export [-l | -x] [-n] /<Full Path>/<Name of Exported File>.

Sal_Previtera
Contributor

Thank You all for the replies.....

I had tried with the -X flag but unfortunately it run out of disk space because the software/program try to create "temporary files" NOT in the /var/export where I "specified" and had lot of disk space ....but somewhere else .....

So the utility Migrate Export should be checked by the programmers or add another flag for "Temporary files" directory.

It sound that backup and restore may be a better option but I will try it on a lab environment...

Thanks Again...

0 Kudos
Dror_Aharony
Employee Alumnus
Employee Alumnus

I believe most of the space needed is in the /var/log/ partition, which is used for the temp files during the export process.

is your large partition space on /var/ & not on /var/log/?

I don't believe the Gaia Backup will backup your SME Event DB, assuming that's what you'd like to preserve.

How big is your SME DB?

if it's not too big, we can also configure to re-index it post the Migration/Restore, assuming your log-files were preserved, either here or on a dedicated LS/Mgmt.

Let's take it offline. Feel free to email me personally with the details: drora@checkpoint.com

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events