Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
biskit
Advisor

Is "Show Package" useless?

A possibly provocative title?  I've just used "Show Package" for the first time on an R80.20 management server, and I'm trying to make sense of the output.  I'm going to assume I'm missing something obvious here, so hoping someone can put me right.

I've opened the rulebase and it all looks great, just like the old Web Visualisation did, where all of the objects are hyperlinked.  The problem comes when I click a hyperlink for a Group.  In the old Web Viz it would clearly show the contents of the group.  But in Show Package the information I see is completely useless and not at all helpful.

For example....  from the rulebase I click on the "Internal_Nets" group.  It opens a new page/tab and gives me the following:

Can someone please tell me how that is supposed to be useful?  I can't send that to the customer and expect them to know what those member objects are.

Bring back the old Web Visualisation, all is forgiven?!

Thanks,

Matt

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Vladimir
Champion
Champion

You are likely looking at UIDs of the group members.

I agree that the list of named objects should be more appropriate, instead of JSON extract of the group object, at least in this tool.

Tomer_Sole
Mentor
Mentor

Such a clickbait title...

your next step would be using the Management API command: show object uid <uid> 

I agree that the tool could have expanded on the members directly, and this is good feedback. I just wish the title would have been different 

0 Kudos
biskit
Advisor

Yeah, sorry about the title 

I've tried the mgmt api command it it works:

So that's half a fix.  But where I'd typically send the HTML export to the customer as a snapshot of his rules, the new tool only displaying UID's is completely useless for the customer and a massive step backwards from the old Web Viz tool.  The new tool output is far more detailed, but it misses out the absolutely crucial info for the intended audience - object names & IP's.

Can you please add this to the feature request list, to at least display the object names and IP's for the object details so that end users can be sent the HTML output and see at a glance what's what?

Cheers,

Matt

0 Kudos
Amiad_Stern

Try to use latest version from github you will have the option to use this flag --dereference-group-members true and objects should be shown (and even if you dont use this flag, i expect UIDs to be clickable).

In R80.20.M2 this will be part of the version that installed on Management machine.

biskit
Advisor

Great, thanks!  I'll take a look at that later today Smiley Happy

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events