Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PP26
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to advance Upgrade Smart-1 210 SMS r77.30 to 80.20

Hi Mates

I am planning an upgrade of SMS (Smart-1 210) from r77.30 to 80.20. We have SmartLog/SmartEvent/Management server running on this single smart appliance . 

I am planning to use   "

Upgrading a Standalone from R80.10 and lower with Advanced Upgrade"  as per the guide. So following that guide I have done the preverifier/import and resolved all issues for database to be imported to r80.20, now when I come to actual upgrade, as per the above article I have 2 options as below

Step 3 of 10: Get the R80.20 Standalone

Current OSAvailable options

Gaia

You can:

I asked checkpoint TAC about first Option "Upgrade with CPUSE" as that links back to one of the upgrade methods using which while doing upgrade from Gaia using CPUSE the preverifier etc is all automatic and hence they said since you are using Advance method you need to go for Perform Clean Install and not the Upgrade using CPUSE. I agree to this point.

When I researched that second option "Perform a clean installed of R80.20 Standalone" to check what is the exact procedure to upgrade it takes me to below link"

Installing the Gaia Operating System on Check Point Appliances" so now on this page there are clearly below options 

<SNIP>

To install a clean Gaia Operating System on a Check Point appliance, you can:

• Restore your Check Point appliance to Factory Defaults. This removes all configurations.
  • Perform a clean install of the supported Gaia image with one of these options:
    • Bootable USB device.
    • CPUSE (if Gaia is already installed) - select the desired Check Point version and perform Clean Install. See sk92449 for detailed steps

<SNIP>

I would like to go for Options of CPUSE (if Gaia is already installed) and I asked TAC about procedure for that and if that is possible as per given on the guide, but he said it is impossible and said any fresh install will need to be done via bootable USB (he said this is the only option). As per him  "CPUSE (if Gaia is already installed)  "Gaia" means version 80.x" but when I argued that why would someone upgrade from same version and also the guide bring you here from the original page where we are trying to upgrade from Gaia 77.30 then he said he will check and confirm.

I also clearly states in the Release Notes, under section SUpported Upgrade path that there are three methods to upgrade Management server as below (CPUSE Clean Install is one of them)

<SNIP>

From R75.4x, R75.40VS, R76, R77.x, R77.20 EP6.0/EP6.1/EP6.2, R77.30.01, R77.30.02, R77.30.03, R80, R80.10 and R80.20.M1 to R80.20*:

Check Point ProductSupported Methods

Security Gateway

Security Management Server

Multi-Domain Server

CloudGuard Controller

• CPUSE Upgrade
  • CPUSE Clean Install
  • Advanced Upgrade

<SNIP>

I just wanted to confirm here about if the fresh install of Gaia 80-.20 can be done from r77.30 using CPUSE ? Which r80.20 from download page (https://supportcenter.checkpoint.com/supportcenter/portal?eventSubmit_doGoviewsolutiondetails=&solut... ) should be used for this ? Clean Install (this is an ISO) ? Or CPUSE UPgrade (tgz) 

I would really appreciate your help please

0 Kudos
14 Replies
This widget could not be displayed.

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

Tue 23 Apr 2024 @ 11:00 AM (EDT)

East US: What's New in R82

Thu 25 Apr 2024 @ 11:00 AM (SGT)

APAC: CPX 2024 Recap

Tue 30 Apr 2024 @ 03:00 PM (CDT)

EMEA: CPX 2024 Recap

Thu 02 May 2024 @ 11:00 AM (SGT)

APAC: What's new in R82

Tue 23 Apr 2024 @ 11:00 AM (EDT)

East US: What's New in R82

Thu 25 Apr 2024 @ 11:00 AM (SGT)