Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NorthernNetGuy
Advisor

Create a Custom Site Category

Is it possible to create a custom Site Category in r80.10? I can do an override categorization, but I'd like to create my own categories to override with. I see user categories that can be created, but not sites.

For Example, I want to create a Weather category and do an override categorization for weather.gc.ca to be in the weather category (currently categorized as news/media, and government/military).

This way I can create a security policy allowing people out to the weather category, and can add more sites to this category as needed.

7 Replies
NorthernNetGuy
Advisor

Ended up opening a TAC case, turns out that this is not possible.

User Categories can only be applied onto custom application/sites. It is not possible to do a Categorization Override with a custom category.

I've submitted an RFE so that the custom category objects can be used in the categorization overrides.

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Curious why an Application/Site Group doesn't suffice here if your goal is to allow access to specific groups of sites?
NorthernNetGuy
Advisor

I suppose app/site group would do the same, categories essentially function as large app/site groups. I'm just looking to organize it in another way. I found it odd that we're given the ability to make a custom category, but doesn't really work as you would expect.

Trying to work my way around different websites and their usage of  CDN's while using a whitelist approach. Extra levels of organization help for readability.

although every website uses CDN's it feels like, so changing to a blacklist approach might be easier to organize and manage.

0 Kudos
cezar_varlan1
Collaborator

Curious why you have the option to create Custom User Category knowing that you cannot use it anywhere as you can't associate it with any websites.

Maarten_Sjouw
Champion
Champion

Well, the thing is that we do use it. It is however used for User created Sites. I have created a User Catagory called Whitelist and one called BlackList, use them in the policy and a newly created site will be assigned either of the 2.
Works like a charm, in any version.
Regards, Maarten
cezar_varlan1
Collaborator

Ended up creating this Custom User Category for exceptions. Added Category to the rulebase.

Whenever i define a Custom Site i just put it in this Category and it works like a charm. I could just put the Custom Websites into a group and get the same result. 

Allowed Categories.PNG

NorthernNetGuy
Advisor

nice solution for this cezar,

Off topic, but something you might want to consider. I'm seeing your source column with "* any". You'll find a performance increase if you specify a source (could be internal zone, or a subnet range of your internal addreses or some other specifier).

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events