Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kandarp-desai
Contributor

Are the Scheduled backups and "migrate export" backups the same for management server?

We need to perform a backup restore, but we do not have latest copy of "migrate export" backup. We have a latest copy of Scheduled backup from Gaia Web UI of management server. If we restore the scheduled backup will all our policies and objects etc be restored properly ?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Danny
Champion Champion
Champion

Yes, everything will be restored. Migrate Export and scheduled backups are not the same as backups also contain a Gaia OS config backup but that doesn‘t matter for what you are trying to achive.

kandarp-desai
Contributor

Hi Danny,

The problem I am trying to resolve is that neither the CLI nor the WebUI or Smartconsole is accepting the admin credentials. Credentials seem to have expired or someone has changed the password and forgotten it now. We tried using the Bootable USB method but still some issues with Linux loading, so now we have no option. If we are to restore the latest Scheduled backup I'm worried this admin error will come along with the backup. We have a scheduled backup before the issue happened so will using that one help ?

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

They’re not the same thing, but provided you are restoring to the same hardware, it will have the same effect.
A migrate export will allow you to restore to different hardware if needed.
Best practice suggests you perform both periodically. 

kandarp-desai
Contributor

Hi PhoneBoy,

The problem I am trying to resolve is that neither the CLI nor the WebUI or Smartconsole is accepting the admin credentials. Credentials seem to have expired or someone has changed the password and forgotten it now. We tried using the Bootable USB method but still some issues with Linux loading, so now we have no option. If we are to restore the latest Scheduled backup I'm worried this admin error will come along with the backup. We have a scheduled backup before the issue happened so will using that one help ?

0 Kudos
kandarp-desai
Contributor

Hi CP team,

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

They are not same at all. Say you take a backup of R80.40 gateway and then clean install the machine, you can use that backup to restore the config back. Migrate export is more used to export the objects and rules from one management server and import them onto another that can be different software version (say if you migrate export R80.10 mgmt server using migrate tools from R80.40 clean install server, you can then use that export from R80.10 to import all those objects and rules into R80.40 box)

Andy

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events