cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Danny_Olson
Contributor

Recommended Smart Event Deployment?

Hello, 

Does anyone know with R80.10 that the recommended deployment is for smartevent is to separate everything out? 

I have a Manager on a dell R730 server running R80.10 take 91. 4TB log partition RAID 10, with 10K SAS drives. for the OS i have 15K SAS drives in a raid 1 for the OS to keep it separate. Also, have dual 12 core CPU's and 128 GB of RAM. We average 4-5 GB of logs per day. maybe 500-100 pps of traffic coming to the box. the performance of the box is great. no real bottleneck anywhere to this point. Small to Mid-Size enterprise, around 1500 users. not going to change dramatically anytime soon. 

I also have a smart event server running R77.30 running on a physical server as well. I want to get Smart Event R80.10, and leave this server running in parallel as i do it. I tried to p2v the box, but apparently CheckPoint does not play nice with that process. I was thinking of adding smartevent server and correlation unit to the dell server. I would think that it should have plenty of horsepower to do this. I could also bulid a new VM, and then set it up, migrate the events to it. Then when ready, install R80.10 on the other physical server, and then move migrate the events back it, but that seems like a lot of work. 

Long of the short, with all everything being unified and all with R80.10, is it blessed by CP to install everything on one box? anyone see any real issues with this? I know back in the day, it was not a "blessed",but definitely supported config.

1 Reply
Alejandro_Mont1
Collaborator

I'll start by saying I cannot provide the papal blessing for you but I can say that it is supported. I have though seen many deployments with R80 management and SME on the same box. The biggest concern of course is the sharing of resources since CPU/RAM requirements are significantly higher in R80 than R77x. From the specs you listed though I would bet that you would be fine, I have observed CP appliances with similar specs start to have trouble around 12GB of logs per day. Keep in mind you do need to have the Event license applied before enabling the blades. As I stated I'd bet you'd be just fine but might also find a Smart-1 similar to your specs and look at the sizing tables.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events