Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Basilio_Alcant1
Contributor

R80.10 SmartLog Server Hardware requirements?

Good Afternoon,

For those of you that are on R80.10 already, can you please provide recommendations on hardware requirements for R80.10 SmartLog Server?

7 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

The minimum requirements are listed in the R80.10 Release Notes for a Security Management Server (which includes a Log Server):

• Processor: Single Socket 1x Core i5-3550S, 4 cores, 3GHz or equivalent
  • Free Disk Space: 500GB (Installation includes OS)
  • Memory: 8GB RAM

Obviously, the more of all the above, the merrier.

Smart-1 Appliances list the log volume they'll support on their datasheets.

Kaspars_Zibarts
Employee Employee
Employee

As Dameon said - more the merrier. All depends on number of logs you will need to crunch. I have put up here log rate calculator https://community.checkpoint.com/message/11222-log-rate-calculator-for-mds-mlm  that's based on SK and I can say at 10000 events/sec we have 16 cores + 64 GB + 6TB and I would want even more 

Vladimir
Champion
Champion

One of my clients has Smart-1 210 running R80.10.

According to release notes:

And I know that it is a two core unit.

Presently, log indexing and SmartEvent/Correlation is not enabled on it, but I can see that being a problem.

I can suggest few options to the client:

1. Trade it in for a larger server (this will not go well, as 210 was sold to them barely a year ago)

2. Up the RAM to 16G and connect external iSCSI volume for faster logging and indexing, (hard to discern the possible benefits when relying on external solution)

3. Move the license to Open Server and re-deploy management on VM with properly sized virtual hardware

Any suggestions? 

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

You may at least want to check the trade-in options with your account team as it may not cost as much as you'd think (though obviously switching appliances is a bother).

Adding RAM to the Smart-1 210 doesn't change the processor at all.

Open Server is always an option, but that also requires a trade-in since licenses are not transferrable on appliances. 

0 Kudos
Kaspars_Zibarts
Employee Employee
Employee

VM in think is the most cost effective for Mgmt/logs. As typically for big organisation your VM is covered in general so you only pay for CP license. And then upgrading CPU/RAM/Disk is relatively cheap.

All depends on size of your esx deployment. But of course it will cost to move away from appliance. Especially if you just bought it. Ouch.

0 Kudos
Vladimir
Champion
Champion

I am a gun for hire being brought-in to get them up and running.

But still, every time I am walking in a situation like this, (and it happens often), I cringe, as this is how CP is getting a bad rap for improperly sized appliances.

In this particular situation, it's a pair of 13500s in core routing mode with bunch of blades, so I expect those to log a lot, especially, since they want to run those relatively open before tightening the policy. 

0 Kudos
Kaspars_Zibarts
Employee Employee
Employee

I hear what you're saying.. Driving latest model BMW or Tesla is not cheap. And I'm not CP sales but customer..I was very happy that we had Mgmt on VM after R80 upgrade Smiley Happy

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events