cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pedro_Espindola
Advisor

How can I test SMTP connection in SmartEvent

Hello, everyone,

Up to R80 there was a "Test connection" button in the report configuration page for SmartEvent, which was quite useful.

How can I test the SMTP server connection when configuring a scheduled report in R80.10?

The R80.10 Loggin and Monitoring admin guide describes the procedure for previous version.

12 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Not sure why that was removed, but you're correct, it doesn't appear to be there.

Hopefully it can return in later releases.

Sarish_Amrithla
Participant

Have the same issue now, reports are configured to be mailed but don't receive anything. is there any cli configuration that can be checked.

PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Unless Kfir Dadosh‌ or Dan Zada‌ have suggestions, I suggest opening a TAC ticket.

Kfir_Dadosh
Collaborator

Which version are you using?

In latest R80.10 JHF you have the "Test Server Connectivity" button:

Sarish_Amrithla
Participant

Thanks Kfir and Dameon.

Just to note there is exceptions to the devices

All suitable 
(except Smart-1 525/5050/5150 appliances)
Take_112 
Sarish_Amrithla
Participant

Hi guys, My device is a 5150, on R80.10 with the HF take 103, is there any cli configurations that be checked to investigate further why the reports are not being sent out.  I can confirm that there is access from the device to the smtp server as I am able to telnet and connect to it on the smtp port.

0 Kudos
Pedro_Espindola
Advisor

Good to know this is now available! Thanks, Kfir!

Kfir_Dadosh
Collaborator

My mistake guys,

The connectivity test button is available as part of SmartView customers HF, and part of R80.20.

Sorry for the confusion.

0 Kudos
Maarten_Sjouw
Champion
Champion

Hi Kfir, when will this functionality be moved back into the place where it belongs, in the SmartEvent server configuration instead of in the per user configuration of reports?

In R77.30 this was a server based configuration, as it should be, but now each user that schedules a report has to set the mail server configuration. The latter is not really good practice in a MSP setup with many customers on 1 single SE server.

Regards, Maarten
Kfir_Dadosh
Collaborator

Can you archive and send us the $RTDIR/log/smartview.log file?

Also, can you tcpdump while running the test?

tcpdump -i lo -s 0 -w smtp.pcap port 25

We have seen an issue with fragmented smtp packet that was dropped by the SMTP server or some middleware in between. We are currently evaluating a fix for this. Assuming this is the same issue, I can provide you with the fix once it will be ready.

0 Kudos
cezar_varlan1
Collaborator

Is this the only place where you can define an Email server? 

This would be needed in 

1. Alerts

2. Certain Monitored changes such as failover

3. Distribution of Certificates when using MAB

Is it feasible that this only works with internal sendmail and unauthenticated releay? What is the correct procedure to configure an email server for outgoing notifications on a Check Point Gateway?

Ty,
Cezar

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

As far as I know, the above only applies for this specific SmartEvent report and not generally throughout the product.

For most other places, you configure it here: Configuring "Mail Alerts" using "internal_sendmail" command 

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events