Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Paul_Mainhardt1
Participant

Firewalls stop logging to Management Server (R80.20)

We are currently experiencing issues with logging from our firewalls to the management server. It logs correctly for awhile then all off a sudden stops logging. We are running 5600 appliances for our gateways and our management server is an open server.

We are running R80.20 T87 for both our firewalls and SMS.

I suspect its something related to high cpu for fw_full as i notice it reaches 80- 90% CPU but fw_worker_0 - 2 have low CPU usage.

I do have identity awareness, App Control, URL Filtering, IPS, Threat Emulation and Anti-bot and Antivirus turned on for the gateways. I am not sure if one of these blades are causing us issues.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Dror_Aharony
Employee Alumnus
Employee Alumnus

Your Mgmt is at its max Log receiving capacity when the fw_full is consistently close to a 100% (80-90% is close).

When you have log traffic peaks that cause it to reach ~100%, it may stop receiving logs & the GW will locally logs on itself for a few secs or more, depending on load.

Unless the log-rate is actually low, cause you said the fw_worker's CPU is low, then it requires a TAC investigation.

Can you specific Mgmt HW details & Log-rate? 

run on Mgmt: cpstat mg -f log_server

If possible, I would advise to up the Mgmt's HW specs (CPU mostly).

0 Kudos
Paul_Mainhardt1
Participant

Sorry my mistake - I wasn't clear enough in my original post.

Its the gateway thats reaching 90%+ CPU for fw_full and the same behavior also happens on the standby member. I suspect that this is causing the gateways not to send any logs to the SMS server.

The SMS has low CPU and RAM utilization

cpstat mg -f log_server - shows log receive rate of 0 from both gateways.

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

You should probably get the TAC involved.
0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

Some good tips in these SKs:

sk40090: Troubleshooting Check Point logging issues when Security Management Server / Log Server is ...

sk38848: Practical troubleshooting steps for logging issues

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

In addition to what @Dror_Aharony said, usually contention for the hard drive on your SMS/Log Server is the culprit here.  A high Waiting for I/O (wio) percentage displayed by the top command on the SMS is a good indication of hard drive contention.  Do you have SmartEvent enabled on your SMS?  That will typically exacerbate hard drive performance issues. 

Also take a look at the swap numbers on your SMS in the output of the free -m command since if the system is paging/swapping due to low free RAM that will make the wio percentage much higher than it normally would be.

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
0 Kudos
Gary_Lipets1
Employee Alumnus
Employee Alumnus

0 Kudos
Dror_Aharony
Employee Alumnus
Employee Alumnus

Best to get the TAC involved as Phoneboy suggested, but also try Timothy's suggestions, most especially run on GW:

cpstat fw -f log_connection

df -h

GW's HW details, please.

Did everything work well before, how long ago did it start?

Do you remember any changes made from around the time it started?

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events