Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rajesh_s
Contributor
Jump to solution

Checkpoint Gateways are not sending the logs to Checkpoint management server

Hi All,

We are using Checkpoint R77.30 firewall, Gateways are not sending the logs to Checkpoint management server, Is anyone has similar issue?.

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
HeikoAnkenbrand
Champion Champion
Champion

Hi,

- check management interface in GAIA GUI

- add no NAT rule from GW to Management

- add log rule (from GW to Management)

- check log port on Management ( netstat -na | grep  257)

- do you see log trafffic (tcpdump -i <ethx> port 257)

- check drops (fw ctl zdebug drop | grep 257)

- check log server in global properties

- check on GW the masters.cf file - the log server should be entered here

- see SK Troubleshooting Check Point logging issues when Security Management Server / Log Server is not recei... 

Otherwise open a Check Point case.

➜ CCSM Elite, CCME, CCTE

View solution in original post

Amir_Senn
Employee
Employee

Hi Shira,

First of all I would define auto forwarding logs to MGMT server from the GW object. This will ensure that it will auto-forward logs.

To do it manually, you can use the command "fw fetchlogs <GW IP>" on the MGMT or any log server.

If you can't see the logs after the import of the logs, this might happen because they're no indexed. By default the days to index

on the MGMT is indexing log file that were closed in the last 24 hours. You can change it by using the following link:

https://supportcenter.checkpoint.com/supportcenter/portal?eventSubmit_doGoviewsolutiondetails=&solut...

Kind regards, Amir Senn

View solution in original post

(1)
22 Replies
AlekseiShelepov
Advisor

I think I have the same issue. My coffee machine at home doesn't want to make cappuchino sometimes. Maybe you know the reason for that?

Information, details about the setup, logs, configs and settings, your actions and tests? Nobody will be able to help you without some basic input information.

Thomas_Allen
Participant

I had this happen when my management server died, and was off line for a couple of days while I rebuilt the RMA unit.  I called support, and there is a way to go into each gateway and jog its memory.  However, the simpler way was to do a policy push to each gateway/cluster that the management server managed.

HeikoAnkenbrand
Champion Champion
Champion

Hi,

- check management interface in GAIA GUI

- add no NAT rule from GW to Management

- add log rule (from GW to Management)

- check log port on Management ( netstat -na | grep  257)

- do you see log trafffic (tcpdump -i <ethx> port 257)

- check drops (fw ctl zdebug drop | grep 257)

- check log server in global properties

- check on GW the masters.cf file - the log server should be entered here

- see SK Troubleshooting Check Point logging issues when Security Management Server / Log Server is not recei... 

Otherwise open a Check Point case.

➜ CCSM Elite, CCME, CCTE
Ilmo_Anttonen
Collaborator

You can add, make sure the Mgmt machine's main IP (object global properties) is on the same network as the GW. It doesn't seem to matter if the policies reach the GW when you push and both machines have the correct interface set to Mgmt. Unless the displayed IP matches it doesn't seem to work.

0 Kudos
Kaspars_Zibarts
Employee Employee
Employee

One more tip, if your log server is separate from Mgmt then install database and then push policy.

Renjith_M_P
Contributor

in addition to tips provided by Heiko Ankenbrand,  check free space in your log server, if not create sufficient space. most of the cases below procedure saved my day. 

• create a dummy Mgmt server Object with different IP in the Dashboard as a temp log server (Dummy_mgmt)
  • From the Logs option under Cluster or gateway properties , untag the Management Server from the logger and add a temp_log (Dummy_mgmt)) server object
  • Installed the Database & pushed the policy. 
  • Post that we have to revert back the changes and again installed DB & pushed the policy to the gateway. ( means untag current temp_log object and select original management or log server)
  • check  "netstat -na | grep  257" to verify port status. it should be in established state
HeikoAnkenbrand
Champion Champion
Champion

I like the idea but a dummy log server on the same IP can lead to problems. The problem is that the dummy and the original log server want to share port 257. There may be problems here.

Regards

Heiko

➜ CCSM Elite, CCME, CCTE
0 Kudos
HeikoAnkenbrand
Champion Champion
Champion

If all these tips don't help, I'd open a ticket.

Regards,

Heiko

➜ CCSM Elite, CCME, CCTE
0 Kudos
Renjith_M_P
Contributor

any non conflicting IP would work

Tom_Coussement
Contributor

See sk38848, sk40090, sk108707 & sk66381

Gaurav_Pandya
Advisor

Hi Rajesh,

Heiko has provided nice steps to troubleshoot this issue. After going through all this steps, definitely you will come to conclusion.  

rajesh_s
Contributor

Hi All, 

Finally issue has resolved, Thank you all for your help in fixing the issue.

Spacial thanks to Mr. "Aleksei Shelepov" for His  great Suggestion 

Sunny_Leung
Employee
Employee

Hi,

how did you resolve the issue ? I had similar issue after upgrade to R80.10, and one of R77.30 SMS suddenly failed to receive log. Tried Reboot, reset SIC, log switch , but just not work (also try script to drop monitoring dB using the script in sk for 80.10).

R77.30 mgmt : no log

R80.10 mgmt; no log , no status , but can see the standby mgmt status

Sunny

0 Kudos
rajesh_s
Contributor

Hi

Log file was corrupted, I created the new log file and moved old logs to new log file, It worked.

https://supportcenter.checkpoint.com/supportcenter/portal?eventSubmit_doGoviewsolutiondetails=&solut...

0 Kudos
Sunny_Leung
Employee
Employee

Hi,

I tried this solution, but not works, then i simply disable the "log" option in mgmt object's property, install policy, and then enable the option, and install policy again, then logging resumed.

the above works for the r77.30 mgmt and gateway

for my R80.10 mgmt and r77.30, after i install policy to one vs, the mgmt can receive log from all gateway. but still not be able to see gateways' status.

Sunny

phlrnnr
Advisor

I ran into this just now after an upgrade.  The new firewall didn't appear to be sending logs.  However, it was sending them, just with the wrong timestamp, so the log server processed them with the incorrect time.  I had to restart the NTP process on the gateway, and then things synced and the logs showed up in the proper place.

0 Kudos
entsupport
Explorer

We are using R80.10 management server . In between we are observings logs are stopped getting forwarded to management server. At the same time we have observed the error in logger the corelation unit cant connect to one of its log servers. No need to stop the job.

We checked the connectivity and it was fine. However not able to telnet on port 257 from gateway to management server. 

Can anyone please help to reaolve this issue?

0 Kudos
entsupport
Explorer

Hello Team,

Can anyone please help to resolve this issue? We are frequently facing this issue.

0 Kudos
ute
Participant

👍

0 Kudos
Pawel_Topczewsk
Employee
Employee

In many situation this short additional procedure (remember additional) helps.

1. Create of a "dummy" Check Point Host object pointing to public IP which is used as a Static NAT IP for original LogServer.

2. Enable Logging&Status function.

3. Edit each problematic gateway and add host from point 1 as a primary log server.

4. Install Policy on problematic Gateways.

5. With command,      netstat -apn | grep ":257"   on problematic GW You can now monitor if connection with SmartLog public IP is now in ESTABLISHED state. If You see such connection state, logs should be sent to and processed by SmartLog.

0 Kudos
Shira
Participant

Hi Team,

Mgmt: R80.40 HF 154

GW : R80.40 HF 154

Our MGMT server was down from last 2 days, now its up and running smoothly. Anyhow i am not able to see last 2 days logs in smartconsole as they were stored locally in firewall.

Can i move those logs from $FWDIR/log GW folder directly to MGMT server to view them in smartconsole?

any alternate ideas would be appreciated.

Earliest response would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Shira

0 Kudos
Amir_Senn
Employee
Employee

Hi Shira,

First of all I would define auto forwarding logs to MGMT server from the GW object. This will ensure that it will auto-forward logs.

To do it manually, you can use the command "fw fetchlogs <GW IP>" on the MGMT or any log server.

If you can't see the logs after the import of the logs, this might happen because they're no indexed. By default the days to index

on the MGMT is indexing log file that were closed in the last 24 hours. You can change it by using the following link:

Kind regards, Amir Senn
(1)

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events