Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Theo
Collaborator
Jump to solution

Port scan from external network

Hi guys,

We received this from our regular Global Correlated Events report and curious how to prevent the Port scan from external network. The action is Accepted and we'd like to know where to adjust this? I know this activity is very risky as obviously the source is suspicious.

Is there any way I can monitor in live the possible similar Event name?

Appreciate your idea where and how to adjust and prevent this? Thanks in advance.

Global_Correlated_Events_Oct_14__2019_7_00_00_AM_pdf.jpg

Cheers!

Darius

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HeikoAnkenbrand
Champion Champion
Champion

Hi @Theo,

IPS collects statistics on how many inactive ports were accessed during a given time. For example, if IPS detects a client attempting to access a hundred different inactive ports within a 30 second time frame, IPS will recognize this behavior as a port scan attack. It will then log the event, or notify you (depending on the Action you select in this page).

Enable IPS protection "Host Port Scan" to detect port scan on R80.X:

1) In SmartConsole under Security Policy tab, go to the Threat Prevention rule base.

2) On the bottom go to Threat Tool and choose IPS protection.

3) Go to the Search bar and look for Host Port Scan.

4) Edit the protection and choose the right Profile of the Firewall

5) Edit the profile and set the Logging setting from Log to User Alert according to the User Alert configured in the General Properties.

Configure an automatic SAM rule to close the port scanning connections:

1) In SmartDashboard/SmartConsole, go to Policy menu - click on Global Properties...

2) Expand Log and Alerts - click on Alerts

3) Check the box Run UserDefined script (under Send user defined alert no.1 to SmartView Monitor)

4) Add an automatic SAM rule:

sam_alert -t 120 -I -src

This will set an automatic SAM rule (for all Security Gateways managed by this Security Management Server / Domain Management Server) with the Source IP address of the host that caused a hit on the IPS protection "Host Port Scan" during 120 seconds.

5) Click on OK to apply the changes

Now configure the Security Gateways to send Alerts and install policy:

1) Configure the Security Gateways to send Alerts to the Security Management Server / Multi-Domain Management server per sk114630.

2) Install policy on all managed Security Gateways.

3) Connect with SmartView Monitor to Security Management Server / Domain Management Server - go to Tools menu - click on Alerts....

➜ CCSM Elite, CCME, CCTE

View solution in original post

13 Replies
Danny
Champion Champion
Champion

You can find this within the IPS Protection settings. There, just search for: Port Scan

0 Kudos
Theo
Collaborator

Hi Danny,

Do you have idea how to prevent this? I noticed many attempts of Port scan from external network have "Accept" actions in our different gateways/site.

Port Scan from External Network.jpg

0 Kudos
HeikoAnkenbrand
Champion Champion
Champion

Hi @Theo,

IPS collects statistics on how many inactive ports were accessed during a given time. For example, if IPS detects a client attempting to access a hundred different inactive ports within a 30 second time frame, IPS will recognize this behavior as a port scan attack. It will then log the event, or notify you (depending on the Action you select in this page).

Enable IPS protection "Host Port Scan" to detect port scan on R80.X:

1) In SmartConsole under Security Policy tab, go to the Threat Prevention rule base.

2) On the bottom go to Threat Tool and choose IPS protection.

3) Go to the Search bar and look for Host Port Scan.

4) Edit the protection and choose the right Profile of the Firewall

5) Edit the profile and set the Logging setting from Log to User Alert according to the User Alert configured in the General Properties.

Configure an automatic SAM rule to close the port scanning connections:

1) In SmartDashboard/SmartConsole, go to Policy menu - click on Global Properties...

2) Expand Log and Alerts - click on Alerts

3) Check the box Run UserDefined script (under Send user defined alert no.1 to SmartView Monitor)

4) Add an automatic SAM rule:

sam_alert -t 120 -I -src

This will set an automatic SAM rule (for all Security Gateways managed by this Security Management Server / Domain Management Server) with the Source IP address of the host that caused a hit on the IPS protection "Host Port Scan" during 120 seconds.

5) Click on OK to apply the changes

Now configure the Security Gateways to send Alerts and install policy:

1) Configure the Security Gateways to send Alerts to the Security Management Server / Multi-Domain Management server per sk114630.

2) Install policy on all managed Security Gateways.

3) Connect with SmartView Monitor to Security Management Server / Domain Management Server - go to Tools menu - click on Alerts....

➜ CCSM Elite, CCME, CCTE
Thomas_Walter
Participant

Hello Heiko,

We have implemented this exactly as described to the SK. We are Using R80.40.
But the only thing that happens is that the event is now displayed as an alarm.
The command in Global Properties does not seem to be executed.

If i check that with:

[Expert@cp-fw-01:0]# fw sam_policy get -l | grep 94.102.x.x

[Expert@cp-fw-01:0]#   // there is no answer

Maybe you have a idea why sam_alert is not working ?

I am new with checkpoint and i will be very grateful for hints.

Best Regards

Thomas

0 Kudos
Thomas_Walter
Participant

Hello Heiko,

not working by us. We have executed as described in the SK, but the scan is not blocked.

Scan is showing as Alert but no prevention.

fw sam_policy get | grep <scanIP> will also not found in SAM.

Have you got a idea why it is not working or how i can troubleshoot this ?

Sorry but i am a newbie with checkpoint. 

Many Thanks 

Thomas 

0 Kudos
Durin
Contributor

Hi,

Curious if you have found a solution to this issue ? I am about to implement it myself but it is same, i see the alerts but no blocking.

Br, Rickard

0 Kudos
Thomas_Walter
Participant

Hallo Durin,

be us this behaviour has been changed since we have disabled the hidden Member function.

"This is new with R80.40"

[Expert@admin]# fw ctl get int fwha_cluster_hide_active_only, 
It should return with the value "1"

We had open a Ticket by CheckPoint regarding a other case, but since we have disabled this function,
the script "sam_alert -t 120 -I -src" was working now. 

After some tests... shows that is not a good Solution, behause it is poorly controllable. All your Alerts where be handelt by 

block with the SAM rule.  

Now we working with the Thread-Policy -> This is accessible in "Logs and Monitor" -> in the left lower corner ->

there is "external Apps" and there is "Smart Event Settings and Policy" 

There you can define  the internal Network, with a Group Object and you can define some actions.

(quite far down ) on the left side you will see the "attacks" . There it is now possible to assign the generated actions.

(More as one is possible, for exempel: Email information and block session)

From my point of view, it's good that I don't have to block the whole IP, but only the "attack-action" with this IP.

(in case of false positive, mybe a customer will have a own test 🙂

Please Note: after the upgrade to R80.40, this feature was also no longer  running by us for whatever reason,

so i have said, after we have disabled the hidden Member, is is running and the scan`s are prevented now. 

Best Regards

Thomas

Luis_Miguel_Mig
Advisor

Would it be possible to use the securexl ddos penalty box at   "global settings - run userdefined  script" instead of the sam rules for  port-scan protection?

0 Kudos
dongkieu
Explorer

Hi all, 

Anybody can check Host port scan , we're using R81 the Action just have Accept and Inactive . Didnot have DROP

0 Kudos
_Val_
Admin
Admin

Port/Host Scan is informational only feature. It counts certain amount of connection attempts to previously unused IPs and ports. 

0 Kudos
Thomas_Walter
Participant

we have solved this regarding we use "Prevention Policy"! There is a point scan from internel and external and there you can put a drop statment and a time event. (exampl. drop for 120min)

You can find the policy in Smart Console/Logging -> left lower corner. 

0 Kudos
fcamus
Participant

Hi,

I had also set "scan" and "ip sweep" protection in Smartevent with automatic reaction "block IP", but i had to remove these protections.We are using R80.40.

I had more than one hundred IP to block. With 12 SG, this means more than 1 thousand sam rules in smartevent. "fwd" process goes to 100% on the management server (smart1-3050), so the SG where not able to send all their logs to the management, so they start logging locally and we were missing logs. the standy management server (without smartevent) is also affected (fwd at 100%) because the SG are not able to send their logs.... "fwd" looks to be single threaded, it's a big problem !

After some tests, with 100 sam rules, fwd jumps to 50-60%. Without sam rules fwd is at 2-5%

It would be more efficient to use the penalty box, but there is no way to set a timeout.

"scan" and "ip sweep" are really effective for us to block hundreds/thousands of packets per second. i think i will have work on a script to  block them with a timeout in the penalty box.

0 Kudos
frankcar
Contributor

Hi,

I got this enabled on our R80.40 cluster, we enabled it since R80.20 and upgrades seem to have not affected it, in our logs I can see its creating SAM rules works fine.

following this guide

https://supportcenter.checkpoint.com/supportcenter/portal?eventSubmit_doGoviewsolutiondetails=&solut...

only thing I wanted to know how to change was from reject to drop ? don't seem to be able to find the option.

also is the a way to get smartevent report for just the SAM rule, I tried playing with some settings but can't seem to get it to report on it. - worked it out have to use host scan in the report that shows up and can schedule it now.

Thanks

Frank

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events