Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
D_TK
Collaborator

upgrading 4800 to 5800: core allocation question

I'll be upgrading a 4800 cluster running R77.30 with 5800s running R80.20 in the near future.  The 4800 is slightly under-powered for its current role, so we're upgrading it.  Current blades:  fw vpn urlf av appi ips identityServer SSL_INSPECT anti_bot

Current  core split is 2/2 and RX-DRP is attached.

Question:  should i leave SMT on and do 4/4 or 6fw/2 split... or disable and continue to do a 2/2 split. 

5 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

My general rule is to stick with the defaults at first and adjust from there as required.
0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

First off if you haven't purchased your 5800s yet, be sure to take a look at the price/performance of the new 6500 appliances.   Based on SPU benchmarks a 6500 is about 20% faster than a 5800 but at about half the price. The 6500 is in a pretty nice spot.  A 6800 is slightly more than twice as fast as a 5900 but for about the same price as a 5900.

Based on the blades you have enabled, SMT/Hyperthreading will probably be helpful.  Run fwaccel stats -s on your current 4800, the more traffic you have in PXL (and to a somewhat lesser degree F2F) the more SMT will help.  As far as the split for the new box that will once again depend on what fwaccel stats -s shows, but based on your blades for 8 cores I'd probably start with the default 2/6 and go from there.

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
HeikoAnkenbrand
Champion Champion
Champion

First step upgrading 4800 to 5800.

If you have performance problems with the default settings, you can adjust the system.

More see here:

- R80.x - Performance Tuning Tip - Intel Hardware
- R80.x - Performance Tuning Tip - AES-NI
- R80.x - Performance Tuning Tip - SMT (Hyper Threading)
- R80.x - Performance Tuning Tip - Multi Queue
- R80.x - Performance Tuning Tip - Connection Table

➜ CCSM Elite, CCME, CCTE
HeikoAnkenbrand
Champion Champion
Champion

James_Hatton
Explorer

Great info.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events