Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
peter_schumache
Collaborator

blink install and xfs

Upgrading an R77.30 gateway to R80.20 using the blink command options "--reimage" and "--delete-old-partitions" leads to the following results:

the old partition lv_current is deleted while all other partitions are being kept, including lv_log

the file system type is still ext3 for all partitions

2 Questions arise here:

Are our observatins correct?

Is the xfs-type filesystem used for Management Servers ONLY, meaning that even if we istall the gateway from scratch, it would still by ext3?

thx for clarification

8 Replies
_Val_
Admin
Admin

I do not think we have 3.10 based blink. So it has to be ext3

PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

xfs is only supported on releases that support the Linux 3.10 kernel (not 2.6).
This includes management releases, R80.20-3.10, and R80.30-3.10.
Further, I'm pretty sure the entire partition table needs to be rewritten to support xfs.
This limits you to a clean install from an ISO.
CheckPointerXL
Advisor

Hello PhoneBoy,

any limitation to have a cluster with one member ext3 and other member on xfs? 

thank you

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

At a minimum it implies they were built differently.

If they weren't built in the same way there is the potential that different images/takes were used which can cause issues in some scenarios. Would pay to check the outputs of the following and compare accordingly.

• show cluster release
  • fw ver
  • cpinfo -y all
CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
CheckPointerXL
Advisor

I have a member on 80.40 with ext3. Now, i need to perform a clean install on the other member of the cluster, so it will be XFS of course.

my doubt if this can be a problem for the cluster health to have one member with ext3 and the other one with xfs

thank you 

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

In isolation it shouldn't be a problem from a Clustering perspective but wouldn't intentionally run them different long term.

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
JozkoMrkvicka
Mentor
Mentor

So does it mean that we can also have gateway with xfs filesystem on 3.10 kernel ? I know that starting from R80.20 there is xfs filesystem be default (installed from ISO), but I saw only that managements can use it. Do we have some limitation compared to gateways ?
It is a benefit to have xfs compared to ext3 from gateway perspective ?
Kind regards,
Jozko Mrkvicka
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Yes, you can have gateways with xfs filesystem.
As gateways don't use disk to the same extent management/log servers do, I don't believe there is a significant performance benefit.

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events