Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Christian
Participant
Jump to solution

Move Vlans to new Interface (10G-Bond)

Hi CheckMates

We're currently running a clustered Firewall (4800, R80.20) with three connected 1G-interfaces

• External (eth1): Vlan-Trunk, 1 Vlan
  • Internal (eth2), Vlan-Trunk, 8 Vlans
  • Sync (eth3), Access-Port

The Firewalls were now upgraded with a 2x10G-Module (eth1-01, eth1-02) each. I will create a LACP-bond (2x10G) and would like to move all Vlans from the External- and Internal Interfaces to the new 10G-Bond. The Sync-Traffic will remain on the separate 1G-Interface for now.

My next steps would be:

1. Create the new LACP-Bond (bond1) on both members and make sure it is UP
  2. Standby-Node: Remove first Vlan-Interface (e.g. eth2.32) including IP-configuration in Web-UI
  3. Standby-Node: Create new Vlan-Interface (e.g. bond1.32) on 10G-Bond with IP-address in Web-UI
  4. Magic in SmartConsole and Policy Push *
  5. Failover
  6. Repeat Steps 2-4
  7. Now repeat steps 1-6 for every Vlan or maybe do all in one run

* Now the part where i'm struggling..

• Should i now get the new topology of that cluster-interface (Int.32) in SmartConsole?
  • Or rather update the Interface-Name by hand? (see screenshot below)
  • Is it even possible to configure a VIP over two different ports for a short time (member1: eth2.32, member2: bond1.32)

overview.pnginterface-config.png

Or is there another better and easier way? It wouldn't be a problem to announce a small downtime.

Thanks and regards
Christian

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Maarten_Sjouw
Champion
Champion
First do this on all interfaces to be moved, of your backup gateway, in the clusterinterface in SmartConsole just update the name, do not in any case run the get interfaces with topology!!
Once the first member is done, flip the cluster and move the other member to the 10G interface Bond.
Regards, Maarten

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Maarten_Sjouw
Champion
Champion
First do this on all interfaces to be moved, of your backup gateway, in the clusterinterface in SmartConsole just update the name, do not in any case run the get interfaces with topology!!
Once the first member is done, flip the cluster and move the other member to the 10G interface Bond.
Regards, Maarten
Christian
Participant

Hi Maarten

Thanks! Do i need to take precautions before starting with the procedure (like cphastop)?

According to your reply i would now do the following:

1. Standby-Node: Create new lacp-bond (bond1) and make sure it is UP
  2. Standby-Node: Delete and Re-Create all Vlan-Interfaces (e.g. eth2.32) on new bond1 Interface
  3. Ping-Check to IPs of Vlan-Interfaces / SIC-Test
  4. SmartConsole: Change Interface-Name of all moved interfaces (e.g. eth2.32 => bond1.32)
  5. SmartConsole: Install Policy on both members
  6. Initiate Failover
  7. Run Steps 1-6 on new Standby-Node

And we are done? No need to change the Interface-Names somewhere else?
I'm surprised, this procedure looks pretty easy and straightforward to me.

Regards,
Christian

0 Kudos
Maarten_Sjouw
Champion
Champion
You will see at some point that the cphaprob will have an issue, you could insert a cphastop before changing the interfaces on the node and cpahastart just before the failover, which can then be initiated by a cphastop on the other node.
Just make sure you do it in a sevice window as you will probaly drop all running connections when failing over.
Regards, Maarten
lambda04
Explorer

Hi Chris,

Could you please share how was your activity ? did you follow same method or any changes ?

BR

0 Kudos
CheckPointerXL
Advisor

I performed these steps:

• Standby: add new vlan,  delete old vlan, conf new subinterface
  • Get interface without topology
  • Install policy
  • Cphastop;cphastart  Standby node (now you will have desidered output in cphaprob -a if)
  • cphastop on active node (trigger failover)
0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events