cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dr_Steve_Brule
Participant
Jump to solution

Critical performance IPS protections

I'm getting ready to enable a few critical performance IPS protections to satisfy some requirements from a vulnerability scan by our SOC.  I only need to enable these protections for only a couple of servers, so I was going to clone my existing Optimized profile that I'm currently using for all traffic and enable these necessary critical performance IPS protections on this new profile.  I will apply this new cloned profile to those servers as the protected scope and place it above my existing rule.

My question is regarding the performance impact - By enabling these critical performance protections, does the pattern matcher for these critical signatures apply to ALL traffic entering the gateway, and then only the IPSs protection are *enforced* per the new cloned profile I created?

or

Is only the traffic to/from those servers having the pattern matching applied, therefore, the scope of my potential performance impact is significantly reduced.  

Hope this makes sense...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

As long as you put the TP rule enabling the Critical protections in the same TP layer and above the original rule with the lower-impact protections (not in a separate second TP layer), and keep the Protected Scope as specific as possible on that first rule it will be the latter. 

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

As long as you put the TP rule enabling the Critical protections in the same TP layer and above the original rule with the lower-impact protections (not in a separate second TP layer), and keep the Protected Scope as specific as possible on that first rule it will be the latter. 

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events