cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vladimir
Champion
Champion

2200 units R80.20 support

I would like to get a definitive response regarding R80.20 support on 2200 appliances.

One of my clients has a bunch of 2200s (CPAP-SG2205), which is the lowest-end 2200, supposedly with only 1GB of RAM.

According to the EOL/EOS, these are supported until 2022.

That being said, the R77.30 support is expiring in September, the R80.20 comes in 64 bit flavor only and while I'd like to recommend the client to toss those units in the recycling bin, I'd like to back it up with some empirical data.

Where are the minimum hardware requirements for Check Point 2012 appliances slated for the R80.20 upgrades could be found?

I am pretty sure that the memory upgrade kits for those 2200s are no longer available and, even if they are, trading the 2200s for 3000s would probably make better financial sense.

Thank you,

Vladimir

10 Replies
Maarten_Sjouw
Champion
Champion

there are actually 2 versions of the 2200 the normal and the B version, the latter has double the memory.
The 2GB memory version should be able to run gateway only, or you add memory yourself... Problem there is officially with opening the box you would invalidate support.
Regards, Maarten
Vladimir
Champion
Champion

@Maarten_Sjouw , thank you.

Do you know how I can determine that from SKUs?

0 Kudos
Maarten_Sjouw
Champion
Champion

You can find it in the UserCenter, the SKU can be something like CPAP-2205B
Lookup your mac address there and you will see if the SKU has a added B.
Regards, Maarten
Vladimir
Champion
Champion

@Maarten_Sjouw , no dice: all of them are either CPAP-SG2205 or CPAP-SG2205-HA units.

Thank you for your help.

Maarten_Sjouw
Champion
Champion

To bad, so spend a few bucks to upgrade them to 4GB.
Regards, Maarten
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

Even with 4GB of RAM, the CPU (Intel Atom D525 1.80GHz Dual-Core) is quite underpowered in a 2200.  Will probably work but policy installs and any operations that need to be performed in process space (HTTPS Inspection negotiations, Threat Emulation, Threat Extraction, Content Awareness, Identity Awareness without the Identity Collector) will be noticeably slow for sure.  Would really recommend a trade-in for a 3000 series if possible.

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
Vladimir
Champion
Champion

@Timothy_Hall , thank you for chiming in on this subject.

I was thinking that even "in the good old days" of R77.30 that box with 1GB of RAM was essentially good for VPN to a hub, where the sausage was actually being made on something quite beefier.

PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Assuming you can get the RAM up to 4GB, it should work for Security Gateway.
Granted, I'm not pushing a ton of traffic through my 2200, but I have it running R80.20. 😁
Highly recommend doing a trade-in for a 3000 series, which has better RAM/CPU.
Vladimir
Champion
Champion

Well,

It appears the client has 2GB in their units, but they have no budget for upgrades.

So, to get them into compliance, I am thinking of going the R80.10 32bit route until 2022, when they'll have to upgrade the hardware.

Jerry
Mentor
Mentor

I have tried myself 3 times 2205 with R80.20 from USB install.
failures all along really painful tries, gave up and made it on 3200 rev. A. all fine afterwareds but customers still has a plenty of 2200s in stock though they do not expire soon (EOL/EOS) hence concerns are part of it within the customer's communities. hardware wise - I think it isn't worth it as the HW architecure won't really support such OS req. like many of r80.20 components (os kernel 3 etc.) as well.

cheerio chaps!
Jerry

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events