Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
E_Lastname
Participant
Jump to solution

trial licensing for testing upgrades

Hello everyone,

I posted a question recently on the forum only to realize that the CP website is now telling me that I need to use Checkmate going forward. I apologize in advance for the duplicate post. My question is pretty straight forward. I would like to simulate an existing environment and pass live traffic through it while testing upgrade procedures. I know most will say why don't I use a backup however I would like to push simulated traffic and not be in any licensing violation state. I have built up the Provider-1 lab which automatically gives me 15 days along with the cluster. However when moving to a newer release, I noticed that the 15 day trial breaks and FWM for example does not start for the CMAs/Domains. A debug of fwm shows a licensing error message.

I think I figured it out on my own and will need to generate new evaluation licenses once permitted by the company I work for through the UC once they add me. I'm guessing I'll need the following:
2 CPSG-EVAL for my cluster setup.
1 CPSM-MD1004-EVAL, CPSM-DMNU000-EVAL-F for the provider-1 with 2 CMAs/Domains which also allows me to managed the cluster.

I will also need to test upgrading an MLM with 2 CLMs and Smart Reporter. However I do not see any references to the latter evaluation licenses anywhere.  Would it be possible for someone when they have a moment to clarify what licenses would be required to test upgrading an MLM. I think Smart Reporter falls under a CPSG-EVAL or the all-in-one eval but not sure whether the MLM would take the MD1005 and DMN000 evals.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

You should be able to request eval licenses without your User Center account being attached to your company.

Go to Learn > Evaluate > Product Evaluation in User Center and request the appropriate licenses.

You're on the right track in terms of the licenses you need.

MLMs are a subset of MDM functionality, and thus you'd use the same eval licenses as MDM (e.g. CPSM-MD1004-EVAL, CPSM-DMNU000-EVAL-F).

If you're upgrading to R80+, there is no such thing as SmartReporter anymore.

SmartEvent has replaced it, and that will require a separate (non-MDM) server.
The license for that should be covered by an "All-in-One" eval.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

You should be able to request eval licenses without your User Center account being attached to your company.

Go to Learn > Evaluate > Product Evaluation in User Center and request the appropriate licenses.

You're on the right track in terms of the licenses you need.

MLMs are a subset of MDM functionality, and thus you'd use the same eval licenses as MDM (e.g. CPSM-MD1004-EVAL, CPSM-DMNU000-EVAL-F).

If you're upgrading to R80+, there is no such thing as SmartReporter anymore.

SmartEvent has replaced it, and that will require a separate (non-MDM) server.
The license for that should be covered by an "All-in-One" eval.

E_Lastname
Participant

Thank you Dameon for the prompt response. I was not aware until you mentioned that I can generate evaluations without a paid account. This is fantastic and just confirmed it by creating the CPSM-MD1004-EVAL. I feel stupid now for emailing my boss earlier about my licensing issue. 🙂

Much appreciated!

0 Kudos
E_Lastname
Participant

Just wanted to add here that a CPSM-MD1004-EVAL comes with 10 CPSB-DMN-U [Security Management Domain for unlimited gateways] licenses. You only need the CPSM-MD-1004-EVAL and then attach a DMN-U per CMA that comes with it.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events