Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Valeriu_Cioara
Participant
Jump to solution

Smart-1 to ESX VM migration.

Hi CheckMates

Are there any licensing implications when migrating a management system from a Smart-1 210 to an ESX VM?

Customer intends to preserve the the vesrion, Jumbo HF take, hostname and IP address, but he needs to be able to use the SmartEvent and Compliance blades and due to the amont if logs hitting the 210, this is not possible at this moment.

The plan is to build a VM with 8 cores,16 GB RAM and 4TB disk and move everything there, but are we allowed to use the existing Smart-1 210 license and contracts? Is CheckPoint going to object at support renewal time?

Thanks and best regards,

Valeriu

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MartijnElzenaar
Employee
Employee

Hi, it is not supported to use the Smart-1 appliance license on an open server platform, as this license is bound to the machine. 

In this situation I would recommend to contact the local Check Point SE/AM to make sure that the sizing is correct and right solution is chosen, e.g. the new appliances (525 and up) are built with i/o in mind and perform very well. 

If you need to go to open server (VM for instance), then the licenses are not based on cores, but rather based on amount of managed GW's. 

So for a single domain management, managing 10 GW's you would choose the CPSM-NGSM10 for example. 

For open server management platforms we do not limit the amount of cores or disk storage. 

HTH!

/Martijn

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Jerry
Mentor
Mentor

if I'm not mistaken there would be no licensing model changes for you but this need to ne confirmed with the specific scenario with Account Services (CP). ring them and ask or simply ask you CP Account Mgr or any available SE in your country.

in my opinoin that migration does not depend on number of CORES you've got in new VM but I don't think it matters whether you use platform like SMART-1 or VM - I don't think so but as I said - Dameon Welch Abernathy‌ may confirm that in 100%.

--jerry--

Jerry
0 Kudos
Maarten_Sjouw
Champion
Champion

Appliance licenses cannot be used for a Open Server model. It probably will work but supported it is certainly not. They will most likely tell you to trade in the Smart-1 for a Open server 8 Core license.

Regards, Maarten
0 Kudos
Jerry
Mentor
Mentor

As mentioned earlier Maarten even if the Appliance lic's won't work direclty for new VM instead if t-shooting the problem he should be reaching out to Account Services for the license migration (can be done only by CP AS) but I don't think this will be really complicated - may take 24h but I've done this myself in a past and I do know it is possible).

hope it helps.

Jerry
0 Kudos
MartijnElzenaar
Employee
Employee

Hi, it is not supported to use the Smart-1 appliance license on an open server platform, as this license is bound to the machine. 

In this situation I would recommend to contact the local Check Point SE/AM to make sure that the sizing is correct and right solution is chosen, e.g. the new appliances (525 and up) are built with i/o in mind and perform very well. 

If you need to go to open server (VM for instance), then the licenses are not based on cores, but rather based on amount of managed GW's. 

So for a single domain management, managing 10 GW's you would choose the CPSM-NGSM10 for example. 

For open server management platforms we do not limit the amount of cores or disk storage. 

HTH!

/Martijn

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events