Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cdooer
Participant

Skip R80.10 on gateways?

Hi there. We recently completed migrating our old R77.30 management server over to a new R80.10 instance. We've got about 30 R77.30 gateways that are now being managed by this new R80.10 server. Just wondering, instead of upgrading the gateways to R80.10, and then subsequently upgrading them to R80.20 sometime down the road, would it make sense to simply upgrade the management server to R80.20, and then jump right from R77.30 to R80.20 on gateways? 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Why not upgrade to R80.30?
0 Kudos
cdooer
Participant

.30 seems pretty new, and we’re a very risk adverse organization. I’m guessing there are still bugs that are being uncovered, and we already feel like we do a lot of QA work for Checkpoint. 

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

If you're using HTTPS Inspection at all, you really should consider R80.30, as numerous improvements have been made that are not in R80.20.
Also, R80.30 is considered our widely recommended release.
0 Kudos
Igor_Prokopinsk
Explorer

R80.10 is based on the old SecureXL architecture, and inherently a lot more stable than 80.20, which is the first major release to use the all new redesigned internal flows.  We keep finding bugs in 80.20 almost every month.  From cosmetic issues to real legit traffic dropping nasty bugs.  Some fixes are too fresh to even make it into the next planned GA take.  I'd say tread carefully with your 80.20 migration plans.  It all comes down to much service life you want to get out of your next target version and the risk of bringing potential instability into your environment.

0 Kudos
Dorit_Dor
Employee
Employee

R80.20 is dramatically better than R80.10 on the GW. R80.30 has further improvements over R80.20 but is also newer (like you say). As said above, in some cases like SSL inspection, R80.30 is dramatically better than R80.20. In other cases, you can also choose R80.20.

I do not see a reason to upgrade R77.30 GW to R80.10 by now. 

You can stay with R80.10 mgmt and move the GWs to R80.20 or 30 but you can also upgrade the mgmt as you will need it to leverage new functionality later.

If you choose to do mgmt upgrade i would go directly to R80.30 (even though its newer, you want to be able to leverage new functionality). 

BTW the audience, as always, is welcome to comment back 

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events