cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Yoon
Explorer
Jump to solution

R80.20 MLM log file size is too big and backup take time

Firstly , I am  junior engineer and my senior asked me to find posts related this topic if I can. 

Explanation:  We have to backup R80.20 MLM log server  in order to upgrade to R80.40 . Because MLM server is on openserver we have to perform new installation.  When we do backup we faced the issues. 

Issue: Our log file size are so big like 5TB in total . So advanced upgrade plan that Checkpoint suggested takes long time as 4 days when we tested.

Question : Any suggestion to  reduce big size or other ways? Can we copy log files on old MLM server and paste it to new MLM server? Is This way will work and any documents related to that.

Please ,  can you also share me other related post or documents ? Thank you in advance. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ido_Shoshana
Employee
Employee

Hi Yoon 🙂

For backup of 5TB of log-files: Sounds a lot, I assume it'll take less time than 4 days.

For manual copy it depends on your bandwidth, so should be more like 15-20 hours for each direction (It is long).

Please follow the below instructions:

-Backup by copying log-files ($FWDIR/log/*.log*) manually using script from all domains/CLMs to external source.

-Adv. Upg without logs (without the -l/-x flags) or Clean installation.

-Copy log-files manually to MLM & its domains.

-Index back these log-files, as far as you like using sk111766:

https://supportcenter.checkpoint.com/supportcenter/portal?eventSubmit_doGoviewsolutiondetails=&solut...

Thanks,

Ido.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

For a log server your best bet is to do a fresh install rather than an upgrade.
You can manually copy off the log files to a different system before the fresh install and copy them back afterwords…and kick off the reindexing process. 

Ido_Shoshana
Employee
Employee

Hi Yoon 🙂

For backup of 5TB of log-files: Sounds a lot, I assume it'll take less time than 4 days.

For manual copy it depends on your bandwidth, so should be more like 15-20 hours for each direction (It is long).

Please follow the below instructions:

-Backup by copying log-files ($FWDIR/log/*.log*) manually using script from all domains/CLMs to external source.

-Adv. Upg without logs (without the -l/-x flags) or Clean installation.

-Copy log-files manually to MLM & its domains.

-Index back these log-files, as far as you like using sk111766:

https://supportcenter.checkpoint.com/supportcenter/portal?eventSubmit_doGoviewsolutiondetails=&solut...

Thanks,

Ido.

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events