cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jerry_Lee
Participant
Jump to solution

R80.10 Installation Error "doAutoPartition" Exception Occured - then crashes

doing a USB stick installation R80.10 - HP DL560 GEN 9 440 Array controller Raid 1+0 2TB array - crashes every time with the Exception Occurred - lots of python errors - doAutoPartiton - config was 600 GB root, 700GB /var/log

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

This server is not on the Hardware Compatibility List, published here: https://www.checkpoint.com/support-services/hcl/ 

As such, this is not a formally supported piece of hardware.

That said, can you scroll down to the bottom of the error message and post a screenshot?

We've seen cases where the light-out-management is recognized as /dev/sda, which can't be formatted. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

This server is not on the Hardware Compatibility List, published here: https://www.checkpoint.com/support-services/hcl/ 

As such, this is not a formally supported piece of hardware.

That said, can you scroll down to the bottom of the error message and post a screenshot?

We've seen cases where the light-out-management is recognized as /dev/sda, which can't be formatted. 

0 Kudos
Jerry_Lee
Participant

This Open Server has not been certified yet, maybe one day it will be done, but we still had to use the box and get R80.10 installed.    The client has an HP Enterprise agreement (lots of open servers installed) and they purchased 6 of these boxes for this phase of the HW refresh.  We had configured another box (3 weeks ago) and installed R77.30 using  SK108200 with a max root partition of 2048 GB (max 2T root partition) in built in the HP Array controller.  It is presently working hard as a MLM box processing high volumes of logs.  Our Diamond Engineer told us of an internal SK that has the exact errors in the attachment - line for line - but it was for R77.30 - we had already made it past that issue with the R77.30 builds.

After spend several hours in the datacenter today, we found the cause of the python error in the  doAutoConfigure script - the HP 440 Array Controller 2 TB array setting (configured like the above box) was causing the issue - we wiped out the array, built another one with a 1980 GB root partition, made it bootable, rebooted with no UEFI, and kicked off the install routine - it worked perfectly.  After the installation completed, we rebooted several times with no errors.  The webui and bond config will occur on 6/12, testing will begin shortly afterwards. 

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Glad you were able to find a resolution.

I believe we will address the 2TB limitation in a future release.

0 Kudos
Knud_Mortensen
Participant

Hi

I'm trying to install R80.10 Security Management server on Vmware vSphere 5.5, which is on the compatibility list, but I get the same kind of error.

I cant find any recommendation for the virtual hardware, so I used the same VM configuration as for my 77.30 security management server.

Network card: E1000

Disk controller: LSI Logic Parallel

This is the error I get:

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

How big of a disk did you allocate in the vSphere settings?  Please post a screenshot of the values shown on the Gaia disk partition setup screen prior to this error message occurring.

--
My book "Max Power: Check Point Firewall Performance Optimization"
now available via http://maxpowerfirewalls.com.

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
0 Kudos
Knud_Mortensen
Participant

Hi Tim

The same sizes as on my R77.30 server

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

Try the following:

1) Reduce total disk size to 1980GB and try the load again.

2) If that doesn't work, try removing all nonessential hardware from the VM (especially USB), as Gaia setup may be trying to access/format something it thinks is a disk but isn't.

--
My book "Max Power: Check Point Firewall Performance Optimization"
now available via http://maxpowerfirewalls.com.

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
0 Kudos
Knud_Mortensen
Participant

Hi Tim

I reduced the total size to 1980G, and that worked, thanks

Why???, what's problem, is this a bug or undocumented feature?

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

2TB is the partition size limit, as noted previously.

However, that's raw capacity.

1980GB is what's left after you add the file system overhead.

It's not a bug, it's a known (documented) product limitation.

Jerry_Lee
Participant

It has to do with the overhead added to the root partition pushing it over the @TB limit..

It is probably an undocumented "FEATURE"

I built and deleted probably 6 full array builds in our new DL560 Gen9 servers before I came across the "fix".

Jerry

Jerry Lee CCSE, CCSA

Advanced Technology Consultant

Digital Connections, Inc.

Cell: 615-876-0173

0 Kudos
Chammi_Kumarap1
Contributor

Hi Jerry. A quick clarification. Do you mean the 2TB limitation is on the physical hard disk size or the size of the root partition?

0 Kudos
Jerry_Lee
Participant

The actual max size of the ROOT partition - you could make it bigger, but it would not boot and give you’re the error listed below.

We worked with this for the DL560 Gen9 servers we are using (we have 6 of them for MDS/BU-MDS/ MLMs/SmartEvent)

1980 GB - MAX ROOT Partition size for both R7.30 & R80.10.

Thanks,

Jerry

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Root partition.

Note that 2GB limit is the "raw" limit, the real limit ends up being 1.8TB. 

0 Kudos
kandarp-desai
Contributor

Hi, can you please share how you reduced the root partition size to 1980 for physical server?

0 Kudos
Chammi_Kumarap1
Contributor

I'm getting the exact same error. Tried reducing the partition size to 1980GB and even 880GB. The error persists. I'm deploying on VMWare but the RAID configuration is RAID 5. As far as I know, RAID 5 was supported in R77.30. Is my error because of the RAID configuration or some other problem?

0 Kudos
kandarp-desai
Contributor

Can anyone help how does one reduce the root partition size? We have a Dell poweredge server R740 with just one 2TB drive.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events