cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rahul_Sharma1
Explorer
Jump to solution

License Conversion

We purchased two checkpoint devices with HA Cluster License.

Now we want to use as standalone license. 

Is that possible to convert the HA License into standalone?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

I'm assuming you purchased something like this where XXXX is the firewall model number:

XXXX-NGTP

XXXX-NGTP-HA

In this case the cheaper license with "HA" on the end is identical to the first one, except that the firewall with the HA license must be a member of cluster with another "fully" licensed member.  The HA-licensed firewall cannot be used just by itself or as a "cluster of one".  The HA-licensed firewall can most definitely be converted to a fully licensed version; contact your reseller who will trade in the existing HA license for a credit, then charge you the difference for the full license version.  The price discount on an HA license vs. the full license is usually about 20%.

Use of the term "standalone" in this context is a bit confusing, since that term generally indicates that the SMS function and gateway function are running on the same piece of hardware.  An HA-licensed box cannot run in standalone mode and manage itself, but a fully licensed model can.

--
Second Edition of my "Max Power" Firewall Book
Now Available at http://www.maxpowerfirewalls.com

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

I'm assuming you purchased something like this where XXXX is the firewall model number:

XXXX-NGTP

XXXX-NGTP-HA

In this case the cheaper license with "HA" on the end is identical to the first one, except that the firewall with the HA license must be a member of cluster with another "fully" licensed member.  The HA-licensed firewall cannot be used just by itself or as a "cluster of one".  The HA-licensed firewall can most definitely be converted to a fully licensed version; contact your reseller who will trade in the existing HA license for a credit, then charge you the difference for the full license version.  The price discount on an HA license vs. the full license is usually about 20%.

Use of the term "standalone" in this context is a bit confusing, since that term generally indicates that the SMS function and gateway function are running on the same piece of hardware.  An HA-licensed box cannot run in standalone mode and manage itself, but a fully licensed model can.

--
Second Edition of my "Max Power" Firewall Book
Now Available at http://www.maxpowerfirewalls.com

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
Daniel_Taney
Advisor

We just did this with a pair of 3200's and it works exactly as Tim described. Once our reseller processed the trade-in, I was able to pull a new license from User Center that removed the "HA" flag and allowed it to be administered as a single, unclustered Gateway.

R80 CCSA / CCSE
0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events