Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Eric_Oakeson
Employee Alumnus
Employee Alumnus

Jumbo Jail - Stuck between installing newer jumbo and uninstalling older one

Have you ever had a time when CPUSE is telling you that BOTH:

1) It cannot install a newer package because it cannot install the old one,

2) It cannot reinstall that older one because it thinks it's already there?

There is hope! This actually happened to me while restoring a VMware snapshot of my own management server virtual machine. It was a fun day in the lab, as both my previous Gaia backups had gotten corrupted. Take multiple backups/snapshots! Once the VM was restored, I got stuck trying to put the latest jumbo for R80.10.

The snapshot had Take_40 jumbo installed (yes, it was old). I tried to then updated it via CPUSE, but when it tried to uninstall Take_40, it said it couldn't find the package. Yet, CPUSE was saying it was installed. I tried to reload the Take_40 jumbo manually, but then it said it already existed. I couldn't update, and I couldn't uninstall the old one. With some crafty work around recreating the "pointers" to the jumbo, we can get out of this situation.

You're basically going to follow sk115243, but I describe on how to find and recreate the missing pointers yourself, as it was in my situation a very old jumbo installed on there and wasn't available anymore. Looking at the logs, I discovered it was telling me what was missing, and I just had to recreate it.

6 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

The doc you uploaded is protected, mind unprotecting it? 

0 Kudos
Maarten_Sjouw
Champion
Champion

Similar problem, trying to install a newer Jumbo, but it cannot uninstall the previous installed Jumbo.

Regards, Maarten
0 Kudos
Dmitry_Krupnik
Employee Alumnus
Employee Alumnus

Hello Eric, Maarten Sjouw,

Could you describe the steps, after which do you see the issue? The more details the better (version of the DA, installed Take and JHF etc). I want to reproduce it.

"The backup had Take_40 jumbo installed" - Eric, you are talking about snapshot's revert procedure, not about backup's restore, right?

Thank you in advance!

Regards,
Dmitry

0 Kudos
Maarten_Sjouw
Champion
Champion

See case 3-0634953021

Regards, Maarten
0 Kudos
Eric_Oakeson
Employee Alumnus
Employee Alumnus

Hi Dmitry, yes it was restoring a VMware snapshot actually (updated original post), so it was the whole machine going back on. I can't explain why it did what it did, as the whole server should've been restored as-is, but I had to figure out a way to get out of jumbo lock and sk115243 was my main reference. The main point of the post is how to use the logs to get yourself out, as it directs you to TAC to get these pointers, and TAC may not have a server readily available with a really old hotfix on it.

I'm not sure what the DA version was, as it's all been updated since this happened, but it is an R80.10 build from take 462 of the ISO. To replicate, you'd have to find a really old jumbo that's not readily available, try to restore the VMware snapshot (not Gaia snapshot) with that one installed, and see if it will put the newest one on. I feel the issue cropped up more in the snapshot rather than something with the DA itself, as the physical pointers in the file system were gone for that Take_40 jumbo.

The logs tell you what's missing:

operation name=^Uninstall^ pkgName=^CPUpdates^ pkgKey=^CheckPoint#CPUpdates#All#6.0#4#8#BUNDLE_R80_10_JUMBO_HF#40^ size=^279521445^ status=^Failed^ duration=^^ last_error=^Package file is not found in the repository.^ timestamp=^Wed Oct 31 18:56:08 2018^

Restore that pkgKey, and CPUSE should then be able to find it, uninstall it, and the install the new jumbo as it normally would.

Dmitry_Krupnik
Employee Alumnus
Employee Alumnus

Hi Eric,

Thank you for information and attached instruction, I am sure it will very useful for all, who will see described issue.

From our side we will investigate the root cause of this behavior and strive to prevent it in the future.

Regards,

Dmitry

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events