Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Raine_Widjeskog
Participant

Is there a way to estimate file size from migrate export? Will it include logs?

Hi,

How can I estimate how large my migrate export file will be? My main concern is, will it contain logs? I can find no information on this in the migrate command docs :

https://sc1.checkpoint.com/documents/R80.30/WebAdminGuides/EN/CP_R80.30_CLI_ReferenceGuide/html_fram...

I have a huge amount of logs on this management server and would prefer to export all objects and relevant information except the logs. I have currently 700G used of about 1000G on the log partition. I thought i might try to run the export file to the log partition. There's really not much to find about best practices to do this. Naturally if it takes the logs the partition will fill up.

I'm planning on doing a migrate export from a R77.30 management server and importing it to a R80.40 server.

Any help?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
David_Asaolu
Explorer

you can transfer the log files off the old box first from $FWDIR/log and then manually transfer them back once youve completed the migrate export to the new box. sk92440 has more info on the steps

PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Logs are not included unless you explicitly specify that option when invoking the migrate/migrate_server command.
These export files (without logs) can be several hundred megabytes, but it depends on the source/target version involved.
Maarten_Sjouw
Champion
Champion

You should look in the R80.40 Installation and Upgrade guide where it also references the CLI reference guide in the upgrade SMS with advanced upgrade.

There you will see that the export allows you to include or exclude the logs:

-l  - Exports and imports the Check Point logs without log indexes in the $FWDIR/log/ directory.

-x - Exports and imports the Check Point logs with their log indexes in the $FWDIR/log/ directory

So you see the information is available in the manuals.
Next to that when you export without logs your export file, depending on revision databases (which you should remove before running the export) can, from our experience, be anywhere between 50MB to 300MB. 

Regards, Maarten
Raine_Widjeskog
Participant

Yes, thank you for your reply but I will respectfully have to disagree about information being available in Check Point documentation. I find it quite hard to find as compared to other vendors - and if it's there it's open to interpretation - as in this case. It could be interpreted as that it will export them regardless, but that there are different ways it can be exported.

0 Kudos
Maarten_Sjouw
Champion
Champion

Although I agree that some pieces of the documentation could be easier, to me it is pretty clear that when you use -l or -x the logs WILL be exported, omitting either flag will not export any.
Regards, Maarten
0 Kudos
Uri_Lewitus
Employee
Employee

Hi Raine

FYI - we are looking at some Content Delivery Platforms to over come the accessibility of the information which will improve customer experience significantly.

As for the way of known what is the estimated size of logs in an export file - we will work with development to come up with a method.

Uri 

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

If performing a migrate export on a R77.30 SMS, the big driver of how large the export file will be is the number of Database Revisions that are present, especially if revisions are being automatically taken every time a policy is installed.  Try to clean these up as much as possible on your R77.30 SMS prior to the export. 

For an R80+ SMS, the main two elements that will significantly increase the export file size are the presence of numerous old IPS update packages, and old sessions that should be purged.  Once again cleaning these up will significantly reduce export file size.

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
Timur
Explorer

Hello  Timothy, 

Can you tell me where the IPS update packages are located and how to remove them?

Now I need migrate from r80.10 to r80.40, and migration process failed with error.

Disk space not enough.

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

The update packages are here: $FWDIR/ips/update/

Here is the relevant page from my IPS/AV/ABOT Immersion class recently updated for R81.20; this page and the associated SK references should be everything you need:

ips_updates.png

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
0 Kudos
Timur
Explorer

Thank you)

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events