cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tomer_Sole
Mentor
Mentor

How to make SmartConsole look good even with Terminal Server or Remote Desktop

A lot of our users share a Windows machine and connect to it whenever they want to run SmartConsole.

With R80.10, I wanted to share a few tips on how to make it better:

1. Crystal clear fonts:

With Remote Desktop settings, make sure that you enable "Font smoothing". And make sure that you don't let the system detect the performance for you, but you choose the higher speed one so that you can control the "font smoothing" checkbox.

As you may know with Check Point SmartConsole R80.10 we worked on new graphics, fonts and vector-based visualizations, and it will be a shame if our customers will not have the great experience we were aiming for. So make sure this one is checked:

2. Don't hide the publish bar:

With Remote Desktop and the SmartConsole window being maximized, the bar which says the IP address is probably going to hide one of the most important elements in the GUI - the "publish" or "discard" bar and the "number of changes to publish". 

So make sure you move that bar, resize it, maybe un-pin, etc.

Hope this helps

7 Replies
XBensemhoun
Employee
Employee

God to know. Thanks.

And on Windows 7 (yes I know, this version is still in use...) we could face the font sizing (sk116915).

Information Security enthusiast, CISSP, CCSP
0 Kudos
Tomer_Sole
Mentor
Mentor

I highly doubt you will face that particular SK as it talks about a situation when you change your Windows DPI but Windows does not save it in its internal registry and as a result SmartConsole, and probably other apps as well, fail to read the correct DPI due to a bug in Windows.

You are welcome to share other display issues though and we will address them. 

0 Kudos
XBensemhoun
Employee
Employee

Oh yes we faced this particular situation as computers were all imaged with a display set to Medium (125%) ; lot of them had changed this option to Small (100%) and then faced this exact bug.

Here a screen capture when I 'replay' the issue:

before fixing the issueafter

And you're alright : this bug impacts all application using MS Sans Serif, MS Serif and Courrier.

Information Security enthusiast, CISSP, CCSP
0 Kudos
Vladimir
Champion
Champion

and in case you are using a VM for SmartConsole, I would suggest allocating reasonable amount of Video Memory to it to aid in rendering. I.e.:

Daniel_Taney
Advisor

Thanks for this tip! This change made things run much smoother! 

R80 CCSA / CCSE
0 Kudos
Vladimir
Champion
Champion

You are w:)lcome

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

The options aren't present on the Mac version of the RDP client  

That said, I haven't had any issues using RDP to a Windows 10 machine with the default settings.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events