Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Participant

Backing up existing $FWDIR/conf directory.

Jump to solution

Hello,

I just decommissioned a few firewalls and would like to delete the firewall objects and associated policies.  I was reading sk15319 for instructions on how to delete the policy, but don't know how to backup conf directory.  Is it simply a matter of doing a secure copy from the firewall manager to a laptop?  Also, are there any specific steps i should follow when deleting firewall objects?  For example, should i delete the firewall object from the policy first, and then delete the policy package?  or vice versa?  I created a snapshot prior to doing anything.

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Jorge

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Admin
Admin
What version of management are you running?
If it's R80+, backing up the conf directory is probably not sufficient as most of the config is now in a database.

Generally, you can remove a policy package without removing the gateway associated with it.
In general, you can't remove a firewall object until you remove all of its dependencies.
It may be assigned to specific policy packages and/or used in policy packages.
The "Where Used" function can be helpful to determine where you might need to look to remove references to it.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Admin
Admin
What version of management are you running?
If it's R80+, backing up the conf directory is probably not sufficient as most of the config is now in a database.

Generally, you can remove a policy package without removing the gateway associated with it.
In general, you can't remove a firewall object until you remove all of its dependencies.
It may be assigned to specific policy packages and/or used in policy packages.
The "Where Used" function can be helpful to determine where you might need to look to remove references to it.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Participant

Hi PhoneBoy

I tried to reply, but don't think i did it correctly, so I will try again.

We are running R80.10 across the board.

Since backing up the conf directory is not the most sufficient, I'm assuming performing a snapshot is the preferred choice?

The firewall object is assigned to specific policy packages, and is used in rules as well.

I will make sure i use the "Where used" function and remove the corresponding references prior to deleting the policy package.

Thanks again for your help

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Admin
Admin
A snapshot or a migrate export, yes.
0 Kudos