cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tom_Cripps
Advisor

Alert Script to remove old log files

Hi all,

Attempting to run a script to remove log files older than X amount of days when disk space is below a certain percentage. I know the script works, just trying to figure out the mechanism. I have included what I believe to be correct in the "Alerts" tab within Global Properties, so it looks something like:

Popup Alert Script.png

This file is within /home/admin and can be executed by anyone. 

Is this the correct way of doing this kind of task?

Strangely I'm also seeing irregularities in the monitoring side of things when it comes to how much disk space is actually left. The CLI reports around 80% usage but our monitoring software reports 25% left? 

Here is the Disk Space Management section within the Management server configuration:

Disk Space Management.png

26% was only used as a test.

Some help would be greatly appreciated here as things aren't adding up.

Tom

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Nick_Doropoulos
Advisor

Hi Tom,

Interesting post.

First things first, assuming your estate is R80.x, it is recommended as a best practice to store scripts inside the Scripts Repository as that location will ensure the survival of your script during upgrades (see https://community.checkpoint.com/t5/API-CLI-Discussion-and-Samples/Proper-place-to-put-custom-script...).

Secondly, I tend to install the database whenever I make a change under the Disk Space Management menu to ensure that the changes take effect.

Finally, I think more investigation is warranted for the irregularities that you mentioned. More specifically:

- What is the monitoring system you use?

- What is the exact sensor that has been configured along with its associated details such as threshold, the time interval that it checks the available disk space etc.

- A time stamp of when you first noticed the issue (assuming it was reported recently).

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Maarten_Sjouw
Champion
Champion

On top of that, always use the entire path when you call a script.
Regards, Maarten
0 Kudos
Tom_Cripps
Advisor

Hi Maarten,

Would you mean then ./home/admin/remove_old_log_files.sh ?

0 Kudos
Nick_Doropoulos
Advisor

Yes but without the period at the front as it means "current directory" whereas you want to specify the absolute path.

0 Kudos
Tom_Cripps
Advisor

Have spotted that in my testing.

Will completed the noted changes today.

0 Kudos
Tom_Cripps
Advisor

Hi Nick,

This file is stored with /home/admin and that is something that is mentioned in that thread, I will look at the Script Repo though to see if it's any different/better. 

I will try and install the database and check to see if this fixes this issue also. 

Answers to yours questions:

1) We use Paessler's PRTG

2) It is just a linux based meminfo sensor, with a 30 second interval. 

3) Timescale, I have recently only noticed this when comparing both set of information.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events