Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Keld_Norman
Contributor

Running 80.10 on Intel NUC NUC6i7KYK, Skull Canyon

I just got a faster internet connection and need to replace my old 2200 protecting my malware lab (The 2200 i use today is not really good enough/can's utilize gigabit WAN).

So I am considering purchasing an Intel NUC NUC6i7KYK, Skull Canyon and want to install a 80.10 on it (managed remotely) - does any one here have any experience with the compatibility of this hardware ?  

Intel NUC NUC6i7KYK
Best regards

Keld Norman - kno@Dubex.dk

5 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Bare metal-wise? Not sure.

Can you put VMware ESX on it and run Check Point on VMs? Absolutely.

0 Kudos
Keld_Norman
Contributor

Bare bone boot and installing via USB (setup everything for an unattended installation): Failed. Missing drivers for the SSD/HDD controller (also the USB keyboard does not work) ..
Tested it via a PXE boot where I had more options and could make a custom kernels and additional drivers also failed ( it would work if i had more time ).. 
I'll go for option #2 the ESXi way. 

PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

I can tell you for sure that several of our SEs have used these particular NUCs as VMware servers with great success.

0 Kudos
Keld_Norman
Contributor

I installed VMware ESXi on the NUC, installed a R80.1 and moved +9 other virtual systems (linux all of them) to the NUC.

I ended up replacing 2 x Check Point Smart-1 3050 in a cluster protecting 6 virtual systems

and a dedicated DMZ Check Point 2200 that protected 3 other virtual linux systems

So now everything is running on this single NUC!

My raw speed when connecting my Qubes OS linux to the fibermodem is 900 mbit and 533 up

The speed from a windows 10 PC connected to the LAB LAN accessing the internet via the new test firewall 

I am looking in to a little tuning now, and trying to figure out what license i am missing (the dmesg command revealed a warning about a missing VE license).

So far I am impressed at the power that little Intel NUC6i7KYK have Smiley Happy It is a perfect little machine for running a LAB.

PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Several people at Check Point are using these devices with great success.

Glad to see its working for you. 

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events