Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mattia_Varone
Participant
Jump to solution

R80.40 on 2200 and 4400 Appliance

Hi Guys,

my customer would like to upgrade their 2200 and 4400 appliances from R77.20 --> R80.40.

Someone has experiences about an upgrade from R77.20 -- > R80.40 on that appliances, I know that the R80.40 is completly supported on those hardware, but I would like to hear some opinion on it?

Regards

Mattia Varone

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

Both those boxes (2200/4400) are already at end of engineering support, and will go completely out of support in less than two years.  What you can do with them under R80.40 (just as gateways - not standalone managed) will depend on which blades are enabled.

The 2200 is a dual-core Atom with only 2GB of RAM (non-upgradeable).  Enabling more than just the Firewall and IPSec VPN blades (and perhaps APCL/URLF as well) will probably be unbearably slow.  Would definitely not recommend doing any Threat Prevention on the 2200.

The 4400 is a dual-core Celeron with 4GB RAM.  Most Access Control blades should be fine along with IPS (using Optimized Profile), much more beyond that would be pushing it.

HTTPS Inspection most definitely NOT recommended on either box.

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com

View solution in original post

abihsot__
Advisor

If I correctly remember 2200 was in two flavours, 2Gb and 4Gb ram, so it is better to check which version is being used (show asset memory), not that will make a huge difference anyway.

We have few 2200 runing R80.20. Upgraded because R77.30 went out of support. Currently working fine (only FW and VPN blades enabled) and waiting for HW refresh. I was wondering as well, shall I move to R80.40 until replacement comes...

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

Both those boxes (2200/4400) are already at end of engineering support, and will go completely out of support in less than two years.  What you can do with them under R80.40 (just as gateways - not standalone managed) will depend on which blades are enabled.

The 2200 is a dual-core Atom with only 2GB of RAM (non-upgradeable).  Enabling more than just the Firewall and IPSec VPN blades (and perhaps APCL/URLF as well) will probably be unbearably slow.  Would definitely not recommend doing any Threat Prevention on the 2200.

The 4400 is a dual-core Celeron with 4GB RAM.  Most Access Control blades should be fine along with IPS (using Optimized Profile), much more beyond that would be pushing it.

HTTPS Inspection most definitely NOT recommended on either box.

abihsot__
Advisor

If I correctly remember 2200 was in two flavours, 2Gb and 4Gb ram, so it is better to check which version is being used (show asset memory), not that will make a huge difference anyway.

We have few 2200 runing R80.20. Upgraded because R77.30 went out of support. Currently working fine (only FW and VPN blades enabled) and waiting for HW refresh. I was wondering as well, shall I move to R80.40 until replacement comes...

naila
Explorer

Hi,
We have a similar situation where our 2200 just died after being upgraded to R80.40 from R80.10 originally....any idea how to get it back,

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

Try a fresh load of R80.40 with isomorphic; make sure to only select security gateway during the post-install wizard.  You probably ran out of disk space during your upgrade attempt.

0 Kudos
Mattia_Varone
Participant

Hi Timothy,

thanks for your reply, the involved firewalls using just VPN ipsec and firewall blades, so I think could be fine.

Regards

Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

Please consider the memory population if you plan to enable additional blades in future.

4000 and TE250 Appliances Installing and Removing Memory

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events