Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vladimir
Champion
Champion

How to determine uptime intervals from gateway logs?

Does anyone know if there is a way to extract the history of boot and shutdown dates and times from R80.10 vSEC instances?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Here's what I see in my vSEC instances in AWS.

These gateways are set up in an autoscaling group and are created/destroyed using an Ansible playbook.

Your mileage may vary. 

0 Kudos
Vladimir
Champion
Champion

Thanks,

Unfortunately, this will not work for me: I have number of vSECs non-AG that are periodically powered-up or down, but the management server itself suffered failure and was restored from the snapshot.

Hence this headache. Do you know if there are any events pertaining to power-up/down logged on the gateways themselves?

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Every Unix-like system will have tell-tale signs of a reboot in /var/log/messages.

I believe by default we keep 5 days worth of messages.

And there's obviously the "uptime" command on each gateway which will tell you when it was last rebooted.

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

I think what you are after might be in $FWDIR/log/fwd.elg, though... 

0 Kudos
Vladimir
Champion
Champion

native will not work, as I am looking for about a month and a half of halt/powerup events.

Same issue is with "uptime", as it only shows the current value.

0 Kudos
Vladimir
Champion
Champion

fwd.elg does not contain the timestamps.

bummer...

0 Kudos
Hugo_vd_Kooij
Advisor

Unfortunatly the default values may not work to well. I recommend to:

1. Increase the number of backup files and the size of each Messages file. sk36798
  2. If you get bogus input like missing RAID disks. Find the cause and make sure it is no longer send to the messages file when it is not needed.

And I strongly recommend to send your syslog to a central log server.

<< We make miracles happen while you wait. The impossible jobs take just a wee bit longer. >>
0 Kudos
Vladimir
Champion
Champion

Thank you.

This is a one-off situation. I've build a bunch of AWS scenarios intended to be a proof of concept, but am now in a position to bill the client for the time spend on it.

Under normal circumstances, (i.e. in production), I'll be using an  AWS Cloud Trail to have this info readily available. But since it was not configured from the get-go, I was trying to determine if there are CP specific logs with this data.

Alas, I'll have to estimate time spent on the project without supporting documentation, which I really dislike doing.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events