cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kaspars_Zibarts
Employee Employee
Employee

HDD failures on 5900 appliances

Has anyone else "suffered" from HDD failures on 5900 appliances? Lost 3 HDDs within one year in 16 devices. Two on the same appliance! Seems like a proper bad batch of HDDs. Never RMAed  disks before in many many years. Just curious if it's just us

0 Kudos
8 Replies
John_Fleming
Advisor

On different appliances yes. Back when Nokia was a thing I found I kept having hard locks on a flash based system. After looking up the flash card in question I found a certain version Avaya VoIP phones had the same issue and had released a patch. Never did get checkpoint to figure out what was up with that.

Anyway that was a little OT. There should be a tool called smartctl that you can use to check hard drive health. If setup it should even alert you when things start going south. Some other interesting facts it can show are how many hours the drive has run for and errors over life time.

Daniel_Taney
Advisor

I personally haven't seen this with hard disks in Appliances. Are they SSD's or traditional spinning disks? It wouldn't surprise me if there was some "batch" issue. I had two 15400's with nearly sequential serial numbers have RAM fail within the same 24-hour window. No one confirmed it was a bad batch officially, but the odds of it being anything else seemed almost impossible to me!

R80 CCSA / CCSE
0 Kudos
Kaspars_Zibarts
Employee Employee
Employee

Nah, these are old school spinning disks. But we bought nearly all 16 in one go.. Nokia ipso boxes were indestructible on the other hand. Had one test fw with uptime over 3500 days haha
0 Kudos
John_Fleming
Advisor

Man, when you picked up a nokia box.. you were like... I could fend someone off with this and rack it and it would still work fine.

... business idea... buy all IP290s on ebay and turn them into nunchucks and sell in solder of fortune magazine...

Some of the 2012 boxes felt like if you looked at them wrong they would break.

Daniel_Taney
Advisor

Plus the ones with the power supplies that caught fire would make a nice flame thrower accompaniment! 

R80 CCSA / CCSE
0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Mentions of old Nokia boxes give me the feels.
Still have a couple of them in my rack at home, can’t bring myself to get rid of them.
John_Fleming
Advisor

Only because you are a mortal and thus don't possess the strength to lift them. Only Thor and ..umm.. who ever else in the  MCU universe can. 

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

I have the power of Infinity 😬
0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events