Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xiro
Contributor

EPS: Setting Export-To-Group variable manually?

Hi,

We want to implement an automation mechanism for our SCCM, so that new clients are set up with the proper version of CP EPS, so that they land in their respective virtual groups when connecting for the first time to MGMT.

We have differences regarding installed modules and ruleset in the different departments. Notebooks use FDE, Desktops not, Sales-NB have different FW-Policy, etc.

In "Deployment -> Packages For Export", there is the possibility to set the group that the Client should be assigned to when connecting for the first time. We have 12 different groups for deployment/ruleset. So in our case, we would need 12 different packages, which all then have to be exported and imported to SCCM. Since for all of them we only install the Base-Agent and AM-blade, all these extra work is required only because of this export-to variable.

Is there a possibility to change this group dynamically during installation?

So in that case we need to export only one installer and with SCCM the script just is adapted regarding department - e.g. "msiexec EPS.msi -group HR_Desktop".

Currently we have only one installer which is used and assigns the client to "Base-Installation". Then we have to move the client to it's group manually during the installation process. This requires the client team to call us during each new installation "could you please install blades xyz to client 123"... So it is a manual step, that causes unnecessary work and disrupts the fully automated installation process of a new PC.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Charris_Lappas
Collaborator

You can push the base client and based on the group in AD you can define the blades for each case. If you have computers in the same AD group that you want to assigned different blades you can create a virtual groups for these exceptions.

Thanks,

Charris Lappas

0 Kudos
xiro
Contributor

Thanks, I'm aware of that, but it's not really what I'm looking for... There are different circumstances that make AD-groups not applicable for the EPS deployment/ruleset, so I have to do everything with virtual groups. And like mentioned, the only way to achieve this automated is by assigning it to the correct group during installation.

The way with different installers is also a bit unfriendly to our SCCM admin, since he would have to create 12 different packages and import the installer 12 times, instead of 1 and working with a variable...

0 Kudos
Martin_Wolf
Explorer

I have exactly the same requirement.

It is more effective to have one installer file and to control the membership of virtual groups by an, for example, XML File during the process of installation.

The persons who paketize our checkpoint endpoint security software, are always grumbling if I tell them: "You must have 12 MSI-Files for 12 Virtual Groups"

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Any suggestions Oren Shalgi‌?

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events