Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mythryll
Participant
Jump to solution

Monitor VPN Users on Check Point Firewall with the help of Netmiko and Python, InfluxDB and Grafana

In case you are interested in monitoring VPN Users on GAIA based firewall check this post out. 

I can answer questions about the code and the integration but not about the infrastructure.

Enjoy reading, some knowledge of Python is assumed. I can provide references to get yourself aquainted with most of the technology in the post.

http://www.mythryll.com/?p=1004

J. T.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Nikos_Kallergis
Explorer

Another quick 'n' dirty solution based on Prometheus:

1. On the gateway itself, I created a Prometheus metrics template (index.template).

# HELP cp_vpn_count Number of VPN connected users.
# TYPE cp_vpn_count gauge
cp_vpn_count {{cp_vpn_count}}

2. Still on the gateway, a very simple script (prometheus_metrics.sh) to replace the template variables and write the output to a text file (index.txt). It probably should have been Python/Jinja2/HTML, it was easier to do with bash/sed/txt.

#!/bin/bash

cp_vpn_count=`fw tab -t userc_users -s | grep userc |  tr -s ' ' | cut -d ' ' -f 4`
sed "s/{{cp_vpn_count}}/$cp_vpn_count/g" /tmp/cptest/index.template > /tmp/cptest/index.txt

3. Create a cronjob on the gateway to run the script every minute or so...

* * * * *  /tmp/cptest/prometheus_metrics.sh

4. ...and run a simple web server to publish the metrics. Please don't tell our security officer that I'm saying this!

python3 -m http.server

5. Finally, configure Prometheus to scrape the published metrics from CP.

- job_name: 'checkpoint'
    scrape_interval: 60s
    metrics_path: '/index.txt'
    static_configs:
      - targets:
          - 10.25.103.52:8000

Result:

prometheus.png

Or in Grafana:

grafana.png

Apart from the security nightmare of running a web server on a firewall (which may be mitigated if we're talking about sane people), I think I prefer this approach because it's easily scalable: just adjust the template and script to add more command outputs.

Anyway, whichever approach one may choose, great work Mythryll and thanks for sharing it.

View solution in original post

17 Replies
Danny
Champion Champion
Champion

Welcome to this community.

So you did a lot of work getting all this done with so many different tools just to get a single graph on RAS-VPN user count. Wow. Check Point SmartEvent provides you with this graph directly. As you work in a critical infrastructure I'm sure you have a license for it. Here are some examples for RAS-VPN reports: BasicEnhancedApplication MonitoringCustom User Stats

Also SmartView Monitor can easily provide you with that graph on VPN history.

image.png

0 Kudos
mythryll
Participant

Hello. 

Thank you for the reply. 

I am not sure you read the post correctly. Nobody wants to take a look at the user list. In fact noone should. There are legal issues involved. 

They just wanted a graph for the user count. That's it.

It may look unimportant but that's what the management wanted. And that wasn't available. 

Whether a license is needed for reports I can't answer that. I don't handle the licenses.

The local vendor didn't have a solution at hand, the support partner didn't have a solution at hand. I am sure they all know more about reports than I do. 

So the code is there. If anyone likes to use it, that's fine. If they don't that's fine as well. I am not making money or gathering fame from it. 

It's working for a while now without issues. 

Thank you again for your remarks.

mythryll
Participant

I doubled checked (it's been a month after all and some things one remembers can be wrong).

There is no such graph : VPN user count, not list, remember we are not allowed to look at the list, under GDPR, the list is also available through SNMP, but doing a count on the SNMP entries is not less work, it's actually more, the check point command is a one liner. Also if a graph is requested but none is provided on the system then you have to create a graph somewhere.

We even tried integrating other custom reports (besides the built-in ones) but we didn't find any with VPN user count.

Perhaps you are assuming that if one posts under a new forum user, he must be a newbie. I will not comment on that, I prefer to assume you are acting with the best intentions. I will also not explain why I am posting as a new user. You can choose to ignore me if you like.

If you do find a report about it, please share it and if it does work, I will gladly accept that you are right and even remove this post myself. We will also start using it at work.

If not please acknowledge that there is no report.

If you don't like the post, that's perfectly fine. If you want it taken down, that's also fine. I don't really mind.

3 different people asked me to post it here. So I did.

Thank you again for the interaction.

J.T.

mythryll
Participant

One more thing. The infrastructure for monitoring was already there, so all I did was code to leverage it. We are indeed doing a lot more things in our work than just administering Checkpoint Firewalls.

Also please check Paul's answer in this post:

https://community.checkpoint.com/t5/Compliance-and-SmartEvent/SmartView-VPN-Client-enhanced-view/m-p...

Again ty.

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin
While I think we've covered the "count" of VPN users in one of the community-generated reports listed here: https://community.checkpoint.com/t5/Remote-Access-Solutions/Remote-Access-VPN-Short-List-of-Most-Use...
I'm all for people coming up with other alternatives.
Nicely done!

You may not be new with Check Point, but clearly you're new here on CheckMates, so welcome aboard!
mythryll
Participant

Thank you for both the reply and the welcome. About whether I am new, Val Loukine knows exactly why I am posting under this account, please free to ask him. No point in adding to the 'drama' , there are internal reasons for it, nothing to do with Checkpoint or this forum.

I appreciate the work everyone posts here, sharing is important. I can't say I am familiar with all the content here, also I am sure there is more to come.

It's funny how all those important posts were created on the same day, talking mostly about Val Loukine's post and Daniel's one-liner , both carry the same date (March 20th) as when we gave up searching for the answer and started coding.

Our team leader did try Daniel one's liner but that didn't work, I guess due to reasons that have to do with how cron is setup and access rights, he does mention some prereqs in his post . I didn't have the time to troubleshoot that though at the time.

Mazhar's post seems to be what we needed in the first place (the custom report with traffic and the VPN users) but that came a week after we had started using our solution. I am only seeing it for the first time, just like Val's original post. I will try it out however to see how it goes.

It's great how so many people come together to help each other, that's the power of the community.

Btw if anyone has a way to get the vpn throughput (exactly that, not ecrypted/decrypted throughput) on the 15400 platform, that would be great.

Thanks again and good night!

J.T.

PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin
On your VPN throughput question, might be worth a separate thread to articulate what you're looking for.

Meanwhile, yes, the community has come together quite nicely around Remote Access.
There were a couple weeks there where pretty much every post in the community was about this topic.
We were able to collectively come up with some great solutions to the challenges people are facing.
_Val_
Admin
Admin

@PhoneBoy 

It was I who asked to post. I think this is an interesting example of alternative reporting tools used with Check Point security systems.

Bruce_R
Participant

Hi,

I had the same requirement but I took a different approach, this was essentially just to provide a page to illustrate how the remote access service was performing during the early days of lockdown. 

I created a jobuser on my gateway to run cron jobs, see sk77300

That allowed me to run a script every 5 minutes

#!/bin/bash -f
source /opt/CPshrd-R80.20/tmp/.CPprofile.sh
fw tab -t userc_users -s | grep userc |  cut -c63-67 | xargs -I {} curl_cli http://REDACTED:1880/checkpoint?now={}

The first 2 lines are boiler plate supplied by Check Point, the last line takes the user count and pipes it to curl. The REDACTED internal host is a node-red server that just runs a simple output to a dashboard graph node. 

Capture2.PNG

Capture.PNG

Bruce

BSOSec
Explorer

Would you be able to go into a bit more detail about what you did in the node-red config?

Would be quite interested in looking at this.

Thanks.

Bruce_R
Participant

Sure, there's not much to it.

Here's an export, just paste it into node-red, you will need to install the Dashboard nodes.

[edit: more detail] The top 2 nodes just receive the http request and give a response to the sender.

the incoming data is piped to the change node, it is structured data (JSON). In node-red terms this is the message payload. (msg.payload). Because the URL had a variable 'now' in it, the data is in msg.payload.now. But it is text and we need a number, so the change node uses JSONata to swap it to an integer and passes it to the graph node. 

there's also a branch that dumps it to a text file with a time stamp.

[
    {
        "id": "c0004ca4.6f5b2",
        "type": "debug",
        "z": "9f3cc389.ea38e",
        "name": "",
        "active": true,
        "tosidebar": true,
        "console": false,
        "tostatus": false,
        "complete": "payload",
        "targetType": "msg",
        "x": 610,
        "y": 220,
        "wires": []
    },
    {
        "id": "bd1c9beb.357ef8",
        "type": "http in",
        "url": "/checkpoint",
        "method": "get",
        "upload": false,
        "swaggerDoc": "",
        "x": 230,
        "y": 160,
        "wires": [
            [
                "b35addd7.d6f5c",
                "5573f34b.21275c",
                "7842088f.e57ed8"
            ]
        ]
    },
    {
        "id": "b35addd7.d6f5c",
        "type": "http response",
        "statusCode": "",
        "headers": {},
        "x": 450,
        "y": 160,
        "wires": []
    },
    {
        "id": "8c4bf64c.548218",
        "type": "ui_chart",
        "group": "42dd6b11.ecf5c4",
        "order": 0,
        "width": 0,
        "height": 0,
        "label": "5 minute snapshots",
        "chartType": "line",
        "legend": "false",
        "xformat": "HH:mm:ss",
        "interpolate": "linear",
        "nodata": "",
        "dot": false,
        "ymin": "0",
        "ymax": "",
        "removeOlder": "24",
        "removeOlderPoints": "",
        "removeOlderUnit": "3600",
        "cutout": 0,
        "useOneColor": false,
        "colors": [
            "#1f77b4",
            "#aec7e8",
            "#ff7f0e",
            "#2ca02c",
            "#98df8a",
            "#d62728",
            "#ff9896",
            "#9467bd",
            "#c5b0d5"
        ],
        "useOldStyle": false,
        "outputs": 1,
        "x": 650,
        "y": 300,
            []
        ]
    },
    {
        "id": "5573f34b.21275c",
        "type": "change",
        "rules": [
            {
                "t": "set",
                "p": "payload",
                "pt": "msg",
                "to": "$number(payload.now)",
                "tot": "jsonata"
            }
        ],
        "action": "",
        "property": "",
        "from": "",
        "to": "",
        "reg": false,
        "x": 360,
        "y": 240,
            [
                "8c4bf64c.548218",
                "c0004ca4.6f5b2",
                "162b90dc.b0efdf"
            ]
        ]
    },
    {
        "id": "162b90dc.b0efdf",
        "type": "file",
        "filename": "mobile_count.txt",
        "appendNewline": true,
        "createDir": false,
        "overwriteFile": "false",
        "encoding": "none",
        "x": 560,
        "y": 420,
            []
        ]
    },
    {
        "id": "7842088f.e57ed8",
        "type": "change",
        "name": "timestamp",
        "rules": [
            {
                "t": "set",
                "p": "payload",
                "pt": "msg",
                "to": "$now()",
                "tot": "jsonata"
            }
        ],
        "action": "",
        "property": "",
        "from": "",
        "to": "",
        "reg": false,
        "x": 330,
        "y": 320,
            [
                "162b90dc.b0efdf"
            ]
        ]
    },
    {
        "id": "42dd6b11.ecf5c4",
        "type": "ui_group",
        "z": "",
        "name": "Default",
        "tab": "f5ba8f9.259237",
        "disp": false,
        "width": "12",
        "collapse": false
    },
    {
        "id": "f5ba8f9.259237",
        "type": "ui_tab",
        "z": "",
        "name": "Check Point Mobile Users",
        "icon": "",
        "disabled": false,
        "hidden": false
    }
]

Nikos_Kallergis
Explorer

Another quick 'n' dirty solution based on Prometheus:

1. On the gateway itself, I created a Prometheus metrics template (index.template).

# HELP cp_vpn_count Number of VPN connected users.
# TYPE cp_vpn_count gauge
cp_vpn_count {{cp_vpn_count}}

2. Still on the gateway, a very simple script (prometheus_metrics.sh) to replace the template variables and write the output to a text file (index.txt). It probably should have been Python/Jinja2/HTML, it was easier to do with bash/sed/txt.

#!/bin/bash

cp_vpn_count=`fw tab -t userc_users -s | grep userc |  tr -s ' ' | cut -d ' ' -f 4`
sed "s/{{cp_vpn_count}}/$cp_vpn_count/g" /tmp/cptest/index.template > /tmp/cptest/index.txt

3. Create a cronjob on the gateway to run the script every minute or so...

* * * * *  /tmp/cptest/prometheus_metrics.sh

4. ...and run a simple web server to publish the metrics. Please don't tell our security officer that I'm saying this!

python3 -m http.server

5. Finally, configure Prometheus to scrape the published metrics from CP.

- job_name: 'checkpoint'
    scrape_interval: 60s
    metrics_path: '/index.txt'
    static_configs:
      - targets:
          - 10.25.103.52:8000

Result:

prometheus.png

Or in Grafana:

grafana.png

Apart from the security nightmare of running a web server on a firewall (which may be mitigated if we're talking about sane people), I think I prefer this approach because it's easily scalable: just adjust the template and script to add more command outputs.

Anyway, whichever approach one may choose, great work Mythryll and thanks for sharing it.

Henrik_Noerr1
Advisor

I love Grafana and have made several dashboards for Check Point.

To get your data, I think a cleaner solution would be to extend snmp and poll with v3. I would be fired on the spot if I hosted custom metrics on the firewalls 🙂

snmp extensions are easily made but to be honest I find it tiresome to maintain.

/Henrik

0 Kudos
Nikos_Kallergis
Explorer

Speaking of SNMP, here are two OIDs that a colleague unearthed in some obscure forum. They are supposed to return the count of connected VPN users but I haven't had the time to test them myself...

mythryll
Participant

Those OIDs don't work on our platform. I think you will find that both those and the VPN througput ones only work on large scale platforms.

0 Kudos
mythryll
Participant

I'm on the client side, not on the vendor or the partner side. Something like that would void our support contract.

Besides that we don't want to mess with the machine we are worried about.

SNMP is pretty much dead. Not being developed. It's insecure, bad for resources and poorly maintained. I have been working with it for 20 years but I am moving away from it.

Thank you for your answer though.

0 Kudos
mythryll
Participant

More people have opted for running a from job to get the metrics on the gateway, but yours is a bold move! 

I like the tech behind it as it's very simple. I need to know more about Prometheus!

Thanks!

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events