Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Amarpreet_Singh
Contributor
Jump to solution

Want to see real client Public IP at my backend servers. Allow gateways to add X-forwarded-for field

Please help me with this. How to achieve seeing Clients Real Public IP at my backend servers allowing gateways to pass Public IPs through.

~My Network Flow when client tries to open a URL over the internet (Accessing a web page): -

Client --> Internet --> Azure Load balancer (Layer4) --> Cloud Guard IaaS Cluster HA(A-P) R80.30 --> Azure Application Gateway(Layer 7) --> Web Apps (Azure App Services)/Servers

In this architecture I am able to see Clients real Public-IP till the Firewall logs only.

~What I want to achieve: -

I need the same public IP to be seen at the Azure Application Gateway(Layer 7). Which at the moment I am seeing firewalls internal Translated Source IP (Private IP) for each and every request.

AppGW-log.jpg

This is the Application Gateway(Layer 7) logs where I am seeing IP as "clientIP:10.0.11.10" which is my Check Point gateways eth1/port2/internal port. Instead of this I should get real clients public-IP.

~As a knowledge: -

I am using NAT here where All internet as a Original Source gets converted to Gateways port2/eth1 (Hide behind NAT) as Translated Source

AppGW-log.jpg

~Once I am able to see the public IP at Azure Application Gateway(Layer 7), the work is done here.

BR

Amarpreet Singh

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Amarpreet_Singh
Contributor

This can be achieved by switching to R81 new version of Check Point and use App & URL filtering with https inspection.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
20 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

My understanding is this is added by the upstream load balancer, not us.
In which case, we should pass it along.

Amarpreet_Singh
Contributor

0 Kudos
Amarpreet_Singh
Contributor

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

0 Kudos
Matthias_Haas
Advisor

Hi Amarpreet,

do you need Source IP NAT on the Cloud Guard at all ?

Not sure if it´s possible, but if the default route on the Application Gateway / (or the subnet in which the Application Gateway is deployed) is pointing to the internal IP of the cloudguard/internal LB if a Cluster is used,  you may dont need the Source NAT.

Matthias

0 Kudos
Amarpreet_Singh
Contributor

Hi Matthias,

Without snat our scenario does not work  

Also on app gateway there are no methods to apply default gateway.  It is all based on sessions. 

0 Kudos
Harshpal_Bhati
Employee
Employee

I have tested this with a custom fix provider by R&D .That time it was not ready for production . Fix is to add the  client IP in header . You can please check with SE .

Harshpal_Bhati
Employee
Employee

I have also noticed that you are using cluster then there is no need of  SNAT typically SNAT is needed when u have auto scale architecture .

0 Kudos
Amarpreet_Singh
Contributor

Hi Harshpal,

Thanks for the reply. 

I will try without using SNAT, I had tried it earlier but did not worked. 

In my case I have application gateway after firewalls which then sends traffic back to azure app services (PaaS Service) and not IaaS servers. That is why we used SNAT here. 

but still i will try other way if SNAT could be removed. And if not then I have to find a soln beside it. 

0 Kudos
Amarpreet_Singh
Contributor

Tried doing it without SNAT. Scenario not working. We need SNAT here.  (Translated Source - Hide behind is reqd.)

1.jpg

The Web Apps we are accessing here does not require internet access as these are not servers, these are PaaS offerings. Only inbound is concerned.

~Any other options to go through?

0 Kudos
Shay_Levin
Admin
Admin

When you deploy an Azure Cluster it deploys also an internal Network Load Balancer.

1. Remove the Translated source from the NAT rule

2. Create a UDR for the Subnet where the AppGW is located , and create a static route with destination 0.0.0.0/0 to the Internal Network LoadBlancer.

Amarpreet_Singh
Contributor

Hi Shay,

On your second point. I will perform these changes. And test it removing snat. I think this might work. 

0 Kudos
Amarpreet_Singh
Contributor

Hi Shay,

Did not worked: - It is not letting me add next hop as ILB. AppGWs can only route to internet.

CP.jpg

0 Kudos
Shay_Levin
Admin
Admin

Does the application gateway have a public or private IP address?

As it would need to have only private internal IP address

0 Kudos
Amarpreet_Singh
Contributor

Both, but we are using private IP Add because it is internal and not external.

0 Kudos
Shay_Levin
Admin
Admin

Please read https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/application-gateway/configuration-infrastructure#supported-us...

You will need to use AppGW-v1 SKU to route 0.0.0.0/0 to virtual appliance (ILB)

0 Kudos
Amarpreet_Singh
Contributor

UDR not supported : -

CP.jpg

Also I believe that SNAT is required here because App GW can only listen if traffic originates from same V-Net(10.0.0.0/16).

And to make it happen we have to do SNAT to change source public IP to either of the firewalls Internal IP and then DNAT to APPGW private IP.

Matthias_Haas
Advisor

further options you may have (not tested):

1. Replace the external LB by a Application Gateway (not sure if this is supported by Checkpoint)

see https://community.checkpoint.com/t5/Cloud-Network-Security-IaaS/Whilst-doing-a-SNAT-on-HTTP-can-I-in... 

2. Setup a additional Application Gateway which has the Public IP of the external LB as the Backend Pool

see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/application-gateway/how-application-gateway-works 

In either case you could use SSL interception and add the X-Forward Header on the App Gateway

may be too complicated and expensive of course

0 Kudos
Amarpreet_Singh
Contributor

Hi Matthias,

Thanks for the reply. But Cluster failover won't happen in that case. And yes it is too expensive, Customer will not agree for the same.

BR

Amarpreet Singh

0 Kudos
Amarpreet_Singh
Contributor

This can be achieved by switching to R81 new version of Check Point and use App & URL filtering with https inspection.

0 Kudos
luisga
Explorer

Hello Amapreet, how exactly did you get the public IP in you backend servers after the firewall does the SNAT? just enabling  App & URL filtering with https inspection? do I have to configure anything in this blade?

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.