Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
icon Network Security

Part 1 - The Architecture

Introduction

Check Point Software Technologies (Check Point for short) is a company operating exclusively on the field of Information Security and covering four main areas:

1. Network Security on the perimeter and inside Data Centers.
  2. Cloud Security: Public, Private and Hybrid.
  3. Endpoint Security for both Windows and Macs.
  4. Mobile Security for Android and iOS devices.

_Val__0-1591873686412.png

In this article, we are discussing Network Security solutions with Check Point.

Network Defense. Three Tier Architecture components

The main product of Check Point is the network security solution – Next Generation Firewall (NGFW). When working with it, you will encounter three main components: Security Gateway, Security Management Server and SmartConsole.

_Val__1-1591873686416.png

1. Security Gateway (SG) is usually deployed on the perimeter to control and secure traffic with Firewall and Threat Prevention capabilities.
  2. Security Management Server (SMS) de
TO READ THE FULL POST it's simple and free
17 Comments
pingallion
Explorer

Wow!

What concise crystal brilliant overview. Cant wait to jump on the next page. Bigups!

Elena
Explorer

Little update :

R80.40 is latest software version

deeqsubeer
Explorer

Simple and very straight forward explanation of the three main component for the checkpoint architecture network security solution.

many many thanks,

Mohamud Ali

jmaresky
Employee
Employee

"and covering four main areas"... how about IoT?

_Val_
Admin
Admin

The materials in this article are based on R80.10 version. We will be updating them very soon.

biniin
Explorer

the password for the sms is not going through for me somehow.?

DaraSinghCCS
Participant

very effective description

aqil01
Employee Alumnus
Employee Alumnus

One of the best sources to get a simplified product description. Really enjoying while reading the material. 

tlloyd22
Employee
Employee

Hey, this is a very helpful module.  Well done, looking fwd to the next and also 81.10 updates!  Thanks for some excellent content!

musam1973
Explorer

Briefly and clearly

gurudev
Explorer

This is a very helpful

fjulianom
Advisor

Hi,

I am completely new on Check Point. Can someone explain why Check Point use the Three Tier Architecture components? Here there is the explanation what each component does and their functions, ok, that's clear... but why this three tier architecture? I feel more complex this architecture to manage. You configure through the SMS (in fact, through the Smart Console, so you need an application GUI instead of an HTTP GUI), although I think you also need to access the SG for some initial configuration like networking. What can't all the three components/functions be on the same appliance? For instance, there are other security very good vendors (I won't say the names) which you have these three components on the same appliance and it works very well. You access the GUI of the firewall (through HTTP), you manage the policies, and the firewall scans the traffic crossing through and applies the firewall policies, and with good performance. Don't misunderstand me, as I said just I am new on Check Point and I have already work with other vendors which don't use this three tier architecture. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Julián

TU
Explorer

This explanation is clear to me, a newcomer. Thanks in advance.

lsilveirab
Explorer

Hi everyone,

someone know what is the guacamole password?

Mohammed1
Explorer

Hello,

I have a client who wants to migrate his checkpoint to a new architecture with a Checkpoint firewall 3600, to inspect north-south traffic,

Can you give me a guide on how to do this?

Thanks very much

_Val_
Admin
Admin

Hi @Mohammed1 The best approach is to reach out to your local Check Point office. Please PM me if you need any help with that.

ucp
Explorer

Check Point's active versions are:

• R80.40
  • R81
  • R81.10

In addition, Check Point no longer supports the following versions:

• R77.x (end of support date: June 30, 2021)
  • R80.10 (end of support date: September 30, 2019)
  • R80.20 (end of support date: September 30, 2019)
  • R80.30 (end of support date: March 31, 2021)