Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Maik
Advisor

SmartConsole Extension - Your experience (+ examples)

Hello,

I wanted to ask you about your first impressions with the SmartConsole extension, which is now available for some time. If you haven't heard of it before; you can check out a basic introduction here. The developer guide can be found via this link.

I'm currently thinking of creating an extension on my own which simply executes specific mgmt_cli commands and provides some kind of feedback based on the return value(s). But before I start to (somehow) figure out how to approach this with just basic html knowledge and absolutely zero knowledge in React or JavaScript I wanted to get some impressions from the community.

> Did you use this feature yet? If yes, what does your extension actually do?

> Did you create your own extension, or used/tested with the examples from Github?

> Did you have devs help you with the first steps or is it kinda trivial and can be done without prior JavaScript and/or React knowledge?

Regards,

Maik

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Joe_Dillig
Employee Alumnus
Employee Alumnus

> Did you use this feature yet? If yes, what does your extension actually do?

Our team developed a simple automation portal that we embedded into an extension and showed inside the console. This was a very simple web page that runs on Python Flask and has a few buttons for functionality.

> Did you create your own extension, or used/tested with the examples from Github?

I have used both. For the example above we developed our own.

> Did you have devs help you with the first steps or is it kinda trivial and can be done without prior JavaScript and/or React knowledge?

I did meet with the Check Point developers about it to get me started with extensions but the examples on GitHub helped understand how the code should run.  

An extension is simply an html page that is presented inside SmartConsole. Going beyond that, there are some hooks you can use to pass data between extension and SmartConsole. Focus on building the functionality you want in a simple web page first, then add the extension code and embed into SmartConsole. 

Maik
Advisor

Thanks for your reply, that definitely helps! Yup I also realized that it is "just" a web page, with some special data contained within the json. I'll need to understand the "SmartConsole Interactions" part of the development guide in order to receive the SmartConsole Session UID to perform certain tasks via the extensions..
0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events