Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Intelliment_Sec
Explorer

R80.10 API policies installation benchmark

I have performed a benchmark of times for policies installation comparing R77.30 through dbedit, R80.10 through mgmt_cli and R80.10 through web services. I will appreciate any suggestion to reduce the R80.10 API times and corrections about the tests.

Testing has been performed with a server virtual machine and a different gateway virtual machine. Both of them are deployed in my local network, so network latency is minimum. The table below shows the devices settings:

DeviceMemoryProcessorsHard disk
Check Point R77.30 (server)1 GB121 GB
Check Point R77.30 (gateway)1 GB121 GB
Check Point R80.10 (server)6 GB260 GB
Check Point R80.10 (gateway)4 GB215 GB

The benchmark consists of 254 host_plains, 254 network_object_groups, 254 tcp_services, 254 service_groups and 254 security_rules.

The table below shows the final results:

MethodTime (hh:mm:ss)
Check Point R77.30 (dbedit)00:03:46
Check Point R80.10 (mgmt_cli)00:31:20
Check Point R80.10 (web services)01:07:50

The command below shows an example of the mgmt_cli schema used:

mgmt_cli add host -b hosts.csv --root true

The request below shows an example of the requests sent through Postman to the web services:

Method:
URL:
{{server}}/add-host

Headers:
Content-Type:application/json
X-chkp-sid:{{session}}

Body:
{
"name": "h1.1.1.1",
"color": "orange",
"comments": "1.1.1.1",
"ip-address": "1.1.1.1"
}
6 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

While 6GB of RAM and 2 cores is the minimum requirement, performance with this configuration won't be that great.

I would repeat the test with a more realistic allocation of resources to the R80.10 Management VM (16GB of RAM and 4 cores), which is similar to what the Smart-1 405 appliance includes, as documented here: Smart-1 405 and 410

Uri_Bialik

Behind the scenes the "mgmt_cli" tool is making web-services request so I guess there should be a different reason why the mgmt_cli test was faster than the web-service test.

In R80.10 the policy installation process was changed: In R77.30, the management server verifies the entire policy every time a policy is pushed. In R80.10, the management server looks at the changes since the last policy push and verifies only the relevant parts. This can explain why a second policy push might be faster than the first one.
In large policies the typical performance gain from this change is a policy push twice as fast compared to R77.30.

Having said that, yes, using dbedit is faster for the following reasons:

* It does not perform validations.

* It does not create a database revision.

* It uses a more simple global lock on the database.

* It does not require a "publish" operation.

Many of us in Check  Point's RnD are constantly working to minimize this gap and improve the performance of the management server in general and the APIs in particular.

Uri_Bialik

I created a python script that uses web-services to creates 254 host objects, 254 group objects, 254 TCP objects, 254 service groups and 254 firewall rules (just like your benchmark but without the policy installation part).

On a VM running on my laptop (6 GB of RAM and 2 cores), it took the script 12:35 minutes to complete.

I'll contact you to share the script and understand the differences between our benchmark results.

Daniel_
Advisor

I'm interested in if you have found the problem?

Is your script using Keep-Alive Connections? I think with Keep-Alive connections you should get a much better performance.

You have mentioned that mgmt_cli is making web-service request. If you use mgmt_cli and publish your changes does it do one keep-alive connection to publish all changes? This would explain the differences.

Can you share your script here?

Thanks in advanced!

0 Kudos
RickLin
Advisor
Advisor

Does anyone ever observe the CPU clock rate on R80.10 management server ?

If use physical server with CPU Intel Xeon E5-2660v3, 2.60GHz *2 , will it better?

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Stronger CPUs will definitely be a net-positive here.

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events