Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nick_Doropoulos
Advisor

TDERROR_Topics_?

I have been having difficulty finding detailed documentation about the TDERROR mechanism. The closest definition I have found is the following:

'TdError, a Check Point infrastructure for reporting messages and debug information. There is no legal list of topics. It depends on the application or module being debugged. To debug all available topics, use: ALL for the debug topic....A topic is a specific area on which to perform debugging, for example if the topic is LDAP, all traffic between the VPN daemon and the LDAP server are written to the log file. Levels range from 1-5, where 5 means "write all debug messages" (http://dl3.checkpoint.com/paid/c7/c76b823d81bab77e1e40ac086fa81411/CP_R77_versions_CLI_ReferenceGuid... )'.

I'm aware that the said mechanism is typically used when debugging processes and daemons as detailed on sk97638. Most of the time it would take the following form:

fw debug [name-of-daemon/process-goes-here] on TDERROR_ALL_ALL=5

***Replicate issue***

fw debug [name-of-daemon/process-goes-here] off TDERROR_ALL_ALL=0

So my question is, does anybody have a list of the available topics of each possible app/module that the TDERROR mechanism could be fed instead of having to turn on all topics all the time? According to the aforementioned link, "there is no legal list of topics" but I was still wondering if there is anybody who could still provide us with one. 

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

In the various ATRG and troubleshooting SKs you will find TDERROR references.

I am unaware of a comprehensive list and, outside of context of a troubleshooting document, I’m not sure such a list would have value.

0 Kudos
Nick_Doropoulos
Advisor

Well, I believe it would have some value in that we would be able to capture the more interesting information about the topic we are troubleshooting rather than having to capture all of them and try to weed out what's more relevant...

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

The problem is that you may think a particular topic is irrelevant to an issue when, in fact, it is.

Which is why I say: stick with the official troubleshooting/debugging SKs.

_Val_
Admin
Admin

TDERROR is an internal Check Point mechanism to debug certain User Mode processes. The flags are ranged from 0 to 10 concerning amount of output, where level 10 prints out way too much. For all needs and purposes on the field the range between 3 and 5 is advised. 

Don_Paterson
Advisor

Any chance one of you guys can write an SK on the TDERROR or get someone in R&D to do it?

It would be really useful to have that and close some gaps in the information around debug framework.

It is used in a lot of procedures!

Here is some supporting text from the CCTA training course manual:

NOTE: TDERROR is an internal Check Point mechanism to debug specific user mode processes. With TDERROR, a specific feature in a specific process with a specified level of importance can be debugged using the following syntax:

TDERROR_<Application>_<Topic>=LEVEL

Level is an integer between 1 and 5. It indicates the amount of information desired, where Level 1 provides the least information and Level 5 provides the most information. To debug all available topics, use the syntax ALL as the debug topic.

And this is from the CCTE course:

TDERROR is a general debugging framework that Check Point- developed processes can use for extensive debugging.

With TDERROR, a specific feature in a specific process with a specified level of importance can be debugged using the following syntax:

TDERROR_<Application>_<Topic>=LEVEL

Level is an integer between one and five. The level indicates the amount of information desired. A level of one provides very little information. A level of five provides an extensive amount of information.

To debug a policy installation, run the following commands:

fw debug fwm on TDERROR_ALL_INSTMGR=5

fw debug fwm on TDERROR_ ALL_INSTMGRFN=5

To stop the debug, run the following commands:

fw debug fwm off TDERROR_ ALL_ ALL=0

Use CTRL+C to stop the tail.

As you can see there is an example that uses the Topics INSTMGR and INSTMGRFN.

But there is no more detail on TDERROR and the actual 1 through 5 debug levels or the Topics, even though it is only two of the ?? topics that could possibly be used.

Thanks,

Don

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events