Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tony_Hinkle
Explorer

MDS Secondary Server upgrade

We are going to upgrade to 80.10 in the coming days, but I have seen conflicting information on what to do with the backup MDS server. At CPX, someone said that we should just remove all existance of it from our database before the upgrade, and then make a new one after the primary is upgraded, syncing everything up then. Then I read something on here that we should do an export/import on the backup as well. Which one works better?

Same with MLM servers. We have 6 servers..what is the recommended path to upgrade those to 80.10?

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Daniel_Lavi
Employee Alumnus
Employee Alumnus

Hey Tony,  mds backup is not for upgrade but for restoring the same version - so let's assume, you have mds backup and your primary mds went down, in order to use the backup you need to install the same version and the same fixes/patches and do mds restore. For upgrading, there are other tools, I suggest you to read the admin guide. 

Btw - for the mds restore to work, you also need the same original MDS IP. 

0 Kudos
Tony_Hinkle
Explorer

So...I was confusing in my title.  That's what happens when you are in a hurry...

What I meant was..the Secondary MDS server in the High Availability configuration.  Here it is slightly less confusing:

We are going to upgrade to 80.10 in the coming days, but I have seen conflicting information on what to do with the SECONDARY MDS server. At CPX, someone said that we should just remove all existence of it from our database before the upgrade, and then make a new one after the primary is upgraded, syncing everything up then. Then I read something on here that we should do an export/import on the SECONDARY as well. Which one works better?

Same with MLM servers. We have 6 servers..what is the recommended path to upgrade those to 80.10?

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

In another thread (OR80.10 Multi-Domain log server support‌ ) the only way right now is fresh install. 

Any additional color on this https://community.checkpoint.com/people/yaelld2e9e40f-b9be-4ead-ad76-88eb15e32ee9‌?

0 Kudos
Kaspars_Zibarts
Employee Employee
Employee

Actually we have upgraded both primary and secondary MDS without any issues Tony - straight CPUSE. That's from R80 to R80.10. 

Yes indeed we are totally screwed with MLM - you cannot upgrade MLM from R80 to R80.10. You would need to delete all MLM related objects and their usage and then re-create it all from scratch. BUT! The catch is that you cannot delete CLM that's R80 and CMA is R80.10! We are in chicken and egg situation as of last night when I attempted to delete all CLMs and MLM. SR raised but I'm not happy bunny at all as CP has not mentioned it in any shape or form (release notes, CPUSE, upgrade docs)

Apparently it might get supported Q4 2017..

0 Kudos
Maxim_Tremblay
Participant
Participant

Hi

For us in our LAB (testing upgrade R80 to R80.10 before run it on our production environment), we had the same error as from sk117539. After we’ve executed the Groovy script from SK116056, we were able to upgrade our Primary MDM, Secondary MDM.

But MLM upgrade still not working and we still waiting from CP. Ticket opened since middle of June.

Thank,

0 Kudos
Maxim_Tremblay
Participant
Participant

The Check Point solution provided from sk121262 work for us. See https://community.checkpoint.com/thread/5509-r8010-multi-domain-log-server-support for more détails

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events