For almost two decades, ClusterXL remains one of the most complex elements of Check Point Security Architecture, and probably the most used one. It is hard to imagine a modern security system without built-in redundancy for Security Gateways. To build it in the most effective way, understanding is the key.
Here is the best document about Check Point clustering that you could find - ClusterXL Advanced Technical Reference Guide
It thoroughly describes everything you ever need when planning, deploying and troubleshooting Check Point clusters:
- introduction to clustering,
- state synchronization
- ClusterXL modes and configuration
- fail-overs and state transitions
- descriptions of Cluster Control Protocol (CCP)
- monitoring, troubleshooting and debugging techniques
- and explanation of how to work with kernel parameters
For both experts and beginners, this is something to keep among one's bookmarks.